"Free utilities"

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by riverrattip, Jun 20, 2013.

1. riverrattip

riverrattip Private E-2

C'mon, guys, I thought at least YOUR site would be credible as far as "free" goes. You come across a "free" or "demo" utility, you spend WAY too much time checking out the policies and then when you click on "Download" it wants money. Now I know you guys aren't in this just for the fun of it, but at least let me know BEFOREHAND that this stuff isn't actually free.

Another peeve: when you're downloading a (finally) free utility or update, you gotta watch out that you uncheck things like Ask.com or AVG or any of those other nuisance things that clog up your computer.

Somehow I got AVG on my computer and I can't get it off. When I finally found a contact site, the guy didn't even speak English.

If you recommend some software or utility, please at least put a $ sign in front of it so you know you're gonna end up pulling out your credit card.

Thanks for letting me fume!

riverrattip

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

What software specifically are you talking about? Majorgeeks software is usually all labeled correctly with freeware, shareware or demo.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

At the top of the page, click on the "Sort by" and choose License. That will put all the freeware at the top of the page. Then just watch the install so you can opt out of any extras that distributors put in to make money.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I love feedback if its constructive, however I don't know what software you are downloading and I have NEVER had a message to download ASK or AVG in any downloads on Majorgeeks, you need to be specific on the software you downloaded that gave your these messages?

Indeed some free software may at times in the install add things like free search engines or browser helpers, to security software, but then that is the users prerogative to tick yes or no too, as many software's these days do come with addon applications, unless the user denies them.

Been the same for last 10yrs or so with many freewares or even paid software.

If you can tell us what software you had issue with we can investigate it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds