From a Dad of a good teenage son

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by qwaqqerz, Feb 19, 2008.

1. qwaqqerz

qwaqqerz Private E-2

Hello all!

I am a big fan of majorgeeks, but there is so much stuff to choose from. I can't tell you how many programs that I have downloaded, only to delete them within a short time because they didn't suit my need or they had "luggage" attached to them ("upgrade to this or that for only $29.99!"). Nevertheless, majorgeeks is the best for all the help I have received in the past, especially in pc performance.

My question is: What kind of spyware and antivirus can I get (preferrably free but reasonable is ok) that will do its job without bugging me every day (or sometimes even every session)with some form of pop up (i.e. spyware doctor, zone alarm).

I just want my protections to let me do my business without their periodically wanting to have a cyber-conversation with me or especially my teenager!

Thanks,

qwaqqerz

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Go through the read me stuff in the malware forums, they recommend a whole suite of programs, that, if followed according to directions, will clean the machine. For example, spybot is still holding its own (although not the best, and DON'T select the teatimer option). I use AVG free for my virus protection software.

I've got an 18 year kid too, so I've been doing the youth group advisor thing for the last 5 years for DeMolay.

Welcome to Major Geeks!

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

WELCOME TO MGs

i use NOD 32 and it has been a good purchase for me it let a virus in on one occasion but that had been designed specially to infect NOD and with a little help here i got rid of it.

it costs 39$ and no doubt there are freebies out there that will do the job just as well good hunting

http://www.majorgeeks.com/NOD32_Antivirus_System_d3704.html

4. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Hi qwaqqerz, Welcome to MGs! I use McAfee Security Suite and I am very happy with it. I believe it is cost effective and I am not bothered by any post purchase popups. I am sure there will be many free programs suggested as well, good luck!

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

6. qwaqqerz

qwaqqerz Private E-2

Thank you all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds