Good afternoon

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Darlie, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Darlie

Darlie Private E-2

I visit your site from time to time as I find your advice and help useful. One of the biggest things I visit such sites is for product information. It's been a while since I needed any help with bugs and such which is due to my periodic "lurking" around and learning about products that help with prevention from your site and others like it. I once used Macafee for my computer protection needs but changed to zone alarm about 7 years ago when I learned it was recommended by your site and others. Zone alarm seems to be growing in the direction of macafee and others where they are expanding their programs into amenities that nickle and dime you as well as take up memory.... I am going to leave zone alarm when my year comes up in February and I am seeking a virus protection, firewall and spyware program that seeks to protect my computer and not fill it up with unnecessary whistles and bells aimed at getting money more than protecting me and leaving my memory at a minimum...... I was reading around your site looking for recommendations on such a program and I have failed to find anything that is specific. What do you recommend for firewalls, spyware and virus protection, that isn't costly and doesn't eat up memory or offer you whistles and bells that merely serve to make "noise".... Thank you for your time and consideration,
    Darlie

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

3. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Welcome to MG Darlie :wave hope you find what your looking for !

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG Darlie:wave Glad you could join us! Personally, I like AVG 9, and PCTools FW.. Both are very user friendly, but do check to see if your 'puter is compatible, before downloading.. I use XP Pro, and both work like a charm! ;) I am sure you will find plenty to chose from with wildwolf220's link he has provided.... Best of luck to you, and if you have any questions, just ask!

5. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Greetings :)

xp: avast and PCTools
    vista: avast and windows FW

6. Darlie

Darlie Private E-2

Hello everyone and thank you tremendously for the wonderful response! I run windows vista home basic on 3 of our 4 computers and 1 runs on windows xp. Thank you for the link Wildwolf, I knew you all had something here somewhere but I failed to find it :0)
    My husband and I looked over the anti virus programs and we both like what AVG Internet Security 9.0 offers and their wording was easiest to understand too. I will give them a 30 day trial (After I remove zone alarm from my computer) and get a feel for their program and when our zone alarm licenses expire I expect to be moving all 4 of us into the AVG neighborhood. (((((((((((((((((((THANK YOU ALL))))))))))))))))))))))))) Merry Christmas!!!!!

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to MGs :)

Good luck with your new AV.

8. Engineer

Engineer Guest

Welcome to MG..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds