Happy to find this site!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by deetrow, Aug 3, 2008.

1. deetrow

deetrow Private E-2

It looks like this site will be quite helpful to me! I'm not sure where to post this question but I am about to sell my ipod and am wondering if a Restore will do the trick to remove my data or if I should use something like Destroyer X. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks! Dee

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome :)

If you don't have sensitive things on your iPod, I'd just do a Restore as given in the ipod instructions. If you do want to be more thorough, than it looks like you can use Destroyer X. It only deletes the data and it's gotten good ratings from some who have used it. I assume you have a Mac?

3. deetrow

deetrow Private E-2

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I am using a Mac. I have my contacts and calendar on the ipod. All of that will be deleted with a Restore? No way of a hacker digging into the hard drive and locating any sensitive info? I would definitely prefer to just use the simple restore since I have never used Destroyer X before. Dee

4. LauraR

Well, technically an iPod is a harddrive and yes, if someone was determined to look, they would probably be able to pull up info from your ipod that just had a Restore (the same as doing it on a computer). To be honest, I can't imagine anyone bothering, as ipods don't store data that anyone who would do that would be looking for (such as passwords, bank info, SS#). Having said that, for the typical user, it is not a straight forward process that they would bother with.

For piece of mind, since you seem to be concerned about it, I would probably recommend you get something like Destroyer X to wipe the data. Looking at the software, it looks pretty straight forward, so I don't think you'll have any problems with it. If you do, though, you can start a thread in the Software forum and ask for help in using it.

5. deetrow

deetrow Private E-2

Thanks Laura. I think I will just do the System Restore. The couple of things I am concerned about, I will delete from my contacts and re-input later. I really do appreciate your help. I think this site is going to be great for me when I have questions. I am a 57 year old female geek and I love being this way! Dee

6. LauraR

:) You're welcome.

Good luck and ask any questions. This is a great site and no question is stupid or too simple.

Take a look around. You'll find that certain issues go in certain forums (software, hardware, etc). You'll get the most exposure in those.

7. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

8. deetrow

deetrow Private E-2

Thanks! I am so happy to be here! Dee

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds