HDC ERROR Msge - Toshiba T4850CT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anjasomething, Dec 14, 2005.

1. anjasomething

anjasomething Private E-2

Hi there...

Can anyone help? I think I know what the error message means...but don't quite know how to fix it. Any Ideas? I am currently trying to find a system disk online - for this old laptop - maybe i don't need one??? Anyways...here's the problem>>>

On startup...the laptop counts up its memory and displays this error message:

HDC Error

Insert system disk in drive

I can access the Setup System and that seems to be about all!!? On the QuickRead Status Bar...it recognises/activates the Hard Drive and the Floppy Drive. My sister - who gave me the laptop to try to fix...said she use to get it going by leaving it in the airing cupboard - but this hasn't helped me so far!!

:confused: So...any help is totally appreciated!!
    Many thanks

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

Is the drive detected correctly in the Bios?

3. anjasomething

Hi! When you say "correctly"....what exactly do you mean?! lol! - when I am in the setup, under Hard Disk, it says: HDD Mode - Enhanced IDE Normal. And of course on the QuickRead Status Bar, it recognises/activates the Hard Drive and the Floppy Drive.

Is this any indication of the Hard Disk/drive being detected?
    Thanks

4. Insomniac

It should state the size and other information like the number of cylinders etc.

If it states the size correctly, then it's being detected properly.

5. Insomniac

umair786, don't bloody hijack someones' thread. (It's probably an illegal copy downloaded!)

You definately won't get help that way.

6. Insomniac

I can help you get banned.

Don't PM me, I'm not interested, and don't hijack someone elses thread, that's the height of arrogance and selfishness.

Sorry anjasomething, just ignore it.

7. anjasomething

Hmmm....yeah - looks like tis not recognising the hard drive fully then. Have got the hard drive in the airing cupboard to see if that will help!! it may do if the whole laptop use to work after being in the airing cupboard!! lol

8. anjasomething

When the laptop starts up it says Memory Initialize 1619KB and then it says HDC Error etc.... So I'm thinking that it recognises something - but do you think this means it's not actually recognising the hard drive totally? Thanks again mate for you help - it really is heplful to have support and ideas etc!! Cheers.

9. Insomniac

I haven't really done much, but you're welcome. ;)

It sounds like it's trying to boot up, but can't because it's encountered an error with the hard drive.

If you have another PC, you could hook it up and that will soon tell you, but it really sounds like the hard drive is dying.

You could try to manually enter the drives information into the Bios (it's written on the drive), but you really shouldn't have to, and if the drive has had it, it won't do anything.

There are also manufacturers' utilities available to check the drive, but I don't know how helpful that would be.

From that error message "HDC", it's hard to say what it is.

I think it's an acronym for either Hard Drive Crash, or Hard Drive Controller, which is the chip on the motherboard that controls the drive.

10. anjasomething

Arh right!!! oh welllllll....will give it one last go - as it's (hard drive) been in the airing cupboard for a few days warming!! Yeah - looks like it's a bit buggered then doesn't it....i only wanted a laptop to just type word on etc.....so I didnt have to sit at this pc....another plan needed!!! lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds