hello, and a question about getting started

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by snacktime, Jun 19, 2010.

1. snacktime

snacktime Private E-2

hello. I'm a bit nervous and intimidated using these forums, so I'll post here first.

last night I stupidly clicked on a vague link from someone I trusted and then found that other people said it gave their computers a virus. I use avast's free antivirus, and it didn't alert me to anything at the time, but I did notice some strange behavior pertaining to Java, digital certificates, and then something stopped working and had to quit. I did a scan with avast and looked through the anti-malware programs already on my computer and ran malwarebytes. it didn't find anything. I also had Spyware Doctor on the computer, but it was an old version, so I downloaded the new version and scanned with that. it warned me about a bunch of cookies and some registry keys infected with a trojan. I think this was an old infection from last year that I thought I had gotten rid of. I deleted the cookies through the browsers and am now trying to get rid of the trojan, which brought me here. however, I am confused about how to get started with the README steps--it says to uninstall all other antivirus applications. I did a quick search to see if the free version of Spyware Doctor and avast are the same sort of antivirus and if I need to uninstall one, and which one. avast is the one I've been using, and the free version of Spyware Doctor won't fix the problems that only it discovered. *confused*

thank you for your time and any and all help.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's!!!

The instructions just want you to make sure you are not using more than one AV program. Plus, some AV software will interfere with the running of some of the scans, so therefore it is necessary to either disable the software scans or uninstall the software until we are finished cleaning your system. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds