Hello and have question about sata/pata drives

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by shanemcgee, Jan 30, 2010.

1. shanemcgee

shanemcgee Private E-2

I had never posted before. I am Shane's husband and am building her a new computer. She said to try this site and may have messed up on what to do to ask a question.

I posted a 'reply' in the hardware section about sata/pata drives. But, I think I should have started a new threat.

My situation is: I am mixing SATA and PATA on the same system. I plan to run the SATA as the primary dirve with OS (Windows 7) and use the PATA as data back up.

My question is this: How do I configure the PATA drive, as Master, as it is the master on the IDE bus, or as Slave, as it is the slave in the overall system???

From the husband, Steve

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Welcome and yes, post a new thread in hardware. Don't be shy about starting a new thread. That is, in fact, very much preferred, (required even).:wave

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG (shanemcgee) Steve :wave Just post your questions, and you will get answers.. Yes, it is best to start your own thread, and that way you can keep track of the replies. Hope that helps ya some;)

4. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

Welcome to MajorGeeks, shanemcgee :wave
    I'm positive that you will find the answers needed for your building project.

Shelagh :)

5. shanemcgee

shanemcgee Private E-2

Thanks for the response. I 'suggested' to my husband to change the listing and put it in hardware. Thanks for taking your time to reply.

6. shanemcgee

shanemcgee Private E-2

Took your advice and moved the question to hardware. Still a quandry about me have the 'login' and my husband doing the asking. But, we had the same problem when we worked together--before retiring.

Thanks for giving the advice and pointing us to use a new thread.

7. shanemcgee

shanemcgee Private E-2

Thanks for taking the time and energy to reply.

I have been on the site before, checking for answers, but not posting. I have not found where the ''guides" are explained. I am thanking each one that is encouring me and then clicking 'post quick reply'.

I'm not sure if I should 'quote message in reply'?
    I am going to have to take more time and delve a little deeper.

Thanks again. I truly appreciate it.

8. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Welcome to MG shanemcgee :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds