Hello and help ws32\ntoskrnl.dll

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by scotty5, Sep 25, 2006.

1. scotty5

scotty5 Private E-2

hello everyone. I am a beginner with pc's. I have norton antivirus 2006 and adaware, spydoctor (free versions). The trojan ws32\ntoskrnl.dll keeps coming up. How do I get rid of it? What programme would be best to stop this happening in the future. Finally how do I get my self up to speed on the pc?

I dont want much then....thanks for any help!!

2. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Hello! :)

I'll let the malware wizards help you with the first few questions you have, and tackle what I can handle... ;) My solution is always to format and get rid of everything, but not everyone likes such drastic measures! :D

Best way to prevent it from happening is to have a firewall. Antivirus is good, when you are infected, and adaware can rid you of problems, but the firewall will prevent them from actually appearing (in most cases at least).

There are some nice free firewalls to download. Here is a nice list of them. Out of all these, I have tried Zonealarm and Sygate, and been happy with them, especially Sygate.

If you have windows XP, it comes with a built in firewall. It is better than nothing, so make sure it is on, you can see that in the Security Center in your Accessories menu.

About the speed thing, it would help to know a little more about what machine you have! There are some limits because of what hardware you have, to how fast it can get. Also, what operating system you are running would help! :) But one rule that always applies is that you need to run a Defrag regularly. You access defrag by rightclicking on your C-drive, select Properties and Tools.

3. scotty5

scotty5 Private E-2

Re: thank you Solange

I have an evesham pc about 4 years old 1.8 processor, windows xp. I dont know how to reformat the hard drive. I have used zonealarm as a firewall but it kept turning my norton antivirus off so I uninstalled it. I will try sygate. I dont know what a defrag is but i will have a go.

thanks again.

4. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

On your harddrive, you have all the files that make the computer run, system files, programs, etc. You also have files you save, pictures, documents, music files etc. Over time, you delete some, add others, and when you do that, your harddrive becomes fragmented, the files become split up, and the computer has to look for a file in several places in order to read it.

Defragmenting means the computer rearranges the files so that they are no longer fragmented, which means the computer will be able to read faster. That is why it will increase the speed. :)

If this is the first time you do this, it might take a long time. If it seems to take "forever", turn the defrag on over night, or while you are off doing something else. :)

5. scotty5

scotty5 Private E-2

cheers solange - the defrag is running!

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds