Hello From Cali!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by sunflowerseeds, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello Everybody, I've been reading this site for little while. A friend told me about this site to help my computer. Hopefully we have some fun. :major

Long time sunflowerseed

Also I have no idea where to post this. I see there's different threads/sections for items. I want to know what are like all the bad things that can be harmful for a computer? Virus, trojans, spyware, etc..? And also what each one is? Another thing is I am said to say it but I have no protection on my computer at this time due to me deleting it. I don't really know "how to use the firewalls, virus scanners, spyware scanners, etc.. So what I want to know is what is better to use for all these bad things? I may not be right but I think that "certain programs like AVG" only stop/protect/get rid of (certain) things just example 20 out of 1000 things.. So if programs only pertect certain things.. Then why not have many on a computer? And because of this scary thing of only being able to protect some of the trash.. then What do you guys suggest I protect against? What programs? I need many opinions please of what programs and why? Also I use the computer for person information like bank info and etc.. And I need it to be protected pretty well. I have a Windows XP

Edit - Forgot to mention this but The programs I do eventually download to protect/get rid of/etc I want to learn the inside of them and learn how to actually Run them and change things if needed. I just downloaded avg ran/deleted and nothing else.. Also I had something with a tea timer which slowed the computer down fairly good too.. Like I don't even know what that tea timer meant this is why Id like to be able to read and change/if needed customize these programs to fit me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

A warm welcome to the forums :)

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Well according to legend Cali knows how to party so you'll show us how to have fun,welcome:)

4. Kestrel13!

information

You should run:

One Anti Virus ---> I run Avast!
    One Firewall (preferably a third party one) ---> I use PC Tools

Then as well as the above I also run:

SUPERantispyware
    MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Spyware Blaster

Yes all anti virus can miss something, hence we have many many people coming in thru our malware forum everyday to be assisted in removing garbage. YOU are your best friend when surfing the net, you can keep yourself safe by using your own common sense and not surfing to dodgy sites etc. Keeping your OS updated and all your AV/AS apps updated

Having more than one anti virus running on a machine is not a good idea because:

They will be attempting to access system files and system processes simultaneously .. there will be much inner conflict.. you must only have one installed as you are reducing the effectiveness of each of them by doing this.. It also can cause malware to go by unnoticed and it slows a PC down tremendously.

You can always start a thread in software with a suitable title and fire away at any questions you wish to ask :) Good bunch of folks in there who can straighten you out.

It is a feature of Spybot S&D. It's a memory resident program which prevents unwanted changes to your systems registry. Teatimer can be disabled.

Hope this has answered some of what you asked.

EDIT:

Another good read for you:

How to Protect yourself from malware!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

[​IMG]

Hello, Sunflowerseeds. If it's fun you're after, you in the right place. ​

If you are needing advice on which anti malware and security programmes to choose, why not visit the Malware Removal or software forums and post a question for the experts? It's not just for getting rid of nasties, it's also for people who need answers to questions like yours. Good luck.​

EDIT. Oh, yeah, Sunflower, Kes is one of the malware fighters here at MGs. Ask away, you'll get all the guidance you need. ​

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to sunflowerseeds
    Hopefully to have some fun? Don't got a clue what you're asking for,do you?:-D
    Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Joey was right about Kes. One of the best, if not THE best, in the game.
    So have some fun and maybe learn some on the side.;)

7. Kestrel13!

Thats' a wonderfully kind compliment :) But I'm not the best .. can't take cedit for that, no sir!

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

We can accept the " one of" then.

9. Now for programs like firewalls, virus, spyware, etc..Do I need to keep these up each time I am online? Or just keep the firewall on and use others to only open and scan when searching for virus/bad things. Also is there firewalls built into virus programs like avg? Or would I need another firewall with avg for my virus protector?

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I personally have ONLY my AV,firewall, and a couple of antispyware programs starting on bootup.
    They stay on even when I'm not online.

11. Kestrel13!

You can get suites such as Mcafee and Norton/Symantec which offer firewall, anti-virus, anti-spam, the whole works, however the downside to this is the drain it causes on system resources, especially if your PC doesn't have much RAM. I find working with the "layered approach" is best, which I described before hand, seperate AV, seperate FW, seperate AS apps...

12. So PC Tools you said was good firewall? I heard friend say he used Comando or something on those lines. But If that PC Tool is good firewall Ill use it. Also firewalls are what stops people from gaining access right? I d have to read on what firewall I use, so I can help and read how to block things.

13. Kestrel13!

Hi :) Make a new post in software now and ask all you need...as this is just the welcome center and I will get told off hehe

Plus thing is you will get more responses and a better mix of opinions there as not everyone visits the welcome centre. And we will pick off from where we left off here

14. He Lives

He Lives Private E-2

Good to see a Cali.person.
    Grew up in Topanga Canyon myself.
    The hills of the try state are lonely.
    Just came on my self,the foak here are supper.:-D
    Welcome,glad you came on.

15. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

:wave and welcome sunflowerseeds to MG's! The people on here are great and it is also a fun place to be!! Enjoy and learn....that's what I do:)

16. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome, sunflowerseeds, to THE best site ever...:wave
    If learning is what you are interested in, this is the best place :-D
    If you want to have fun, you sure can't beat this place for that too! :-D:-D

Kestrel13!, I don't think anyone would tell you off here, would they? Not one of the best! ;)

17. Kestrel13!

Yes indeed.. me have to follow the rulez too :)

18. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

AH, yes, da rulez...... Yup, must follow them too.. Even still, you can keep them at bay!! :-D

hey, just a little curiosity, "Kestrel13" doesn't really like to eat little birdies, now do ya?

19. Kestrel13!

Nah.. right now eating strawberry mousse :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds