Help Please!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by John Silva, Apr 8, 2008.

1. John Silva

John Silva Private E-2

Sorry if this is not the place to post this. I am new here, desperate, and using very slow PIII machies with even slower wireless connections in the boon docks of Venezuela (a very third world country). My internet connetion is too slow to dl all of the recomended cleaning package.
    I am running Windows XP pro. I have had both virus and worm problems. (sxs.exe (th generic), RavMon E.exe, and some others I did not document. I am not an expert. AVG and AVIR have cleaned and report no virus present now, but one problem persists: From explorer, I can not access drives that were infected. When I click on these drives, the “Open With” window opens. The drives can only be accessed via the “tool bar drop down menu”. Other drives, such as pen drives and CDs work fine. Is there any way to fix this problem without reloading Windows?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  2. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks, John

Start at: Step 2: Installing Tools and Running Scans
    Download, install and run each tool one at a time; rather than trying to dl all of them all one time.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313

Start a new thread in the Malware Removal Forum describing your problems:http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

** There seems to be quite a few "Lost File Associations" recently caused by infections lately, but the experts in the Malware Removal forum will verify this.

Good Luck!
    dr.m :major

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

The malware guys here are the best around

They will have you fixed up in no time:)

Good luck:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds