Hi All! Friend said you could help

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by deanie0923, Aug 8, 2007.

1. deanie0923

deanie0923 Private E-2

Hi all, :wave My friend sent me here because she thinks someone could help.

I picked up some kind of virus/trojan which was messing up my McAfee. So, I uninstalled it thinking re-installing would help. Did not realize it was a virus. Anyway, I went to McAfee site to download but it wouldn't let me. I then went to My Control Panel, to Add Remove Programs, but it wouldn't let me open that. :cry I then went back to McAfee except I kept being redirected to another site. I downloaded AVG which the scan worked, removed 2 virus' but the shield will not work. I then ran SpyBot which was already on my computer and had 85 problems redirecting any site that I could download a Virus Removal. Those were removed but I still had the problem. Frustrated, turned the computer off until the next morning only to find my Control Panel was totally gone. Now what? I don't want to reboot my computer if I don't have to, and I'm not real computer knowledgeable. Would it be better to pay to have someone remove the virus or is there a solution for those who aren't that computer knowledgeble?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Deanie

2. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Hi there! :)

Your going to need to read and do all the steps indicated in this link >>> http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 then make a posting in the malware forum with the results you get from those steps.. the good guys in malware will have you all fixed up!!

Good luck & welcome to MG's :wave

3. deanie0923

deanie0923 Private E-2

Thank you for your quick response. I went over to the link, read the thread in it's entirety. It said if you didn't understand something to ask before posting. Well, then where do you ask??? The very first thing it says to do is use the Add Remove Programs and My Control panel is missing and even if it was there, the virus won't let me enter. Deanie

4. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Hey Deanie... the best thing you can do, is post in the malware forum >>> http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

explain to them what happened and make sure you tell them you tried to do the steps but (whatever it is) wont let you do step 1.

hope this helps :)

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

Good luck :)

6. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

Hope all is well!!! Welcome to MGs ;)

7. deanie0923

deanie0923 Private E-2

Hi All, I'm baaaack!

I'm virus free :eek:) BUT I still can't find my Control Panel. Have been to Microsoft to no avail. Anyone know what to do here? BTW, I have used my Windows 2000 disc and tried to restore but that didn't work either.

Also, I can't do some things like read properties on IE as the error message says to contact the System Administrator. I AM the System Admin as this is my computer. ???? Any help there?

Thanks in advance!!!

Deanie

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi Deanie

If I may ask...how did you manage to get virus free? If you went through the steps in the thread you were directed to by others in this thread in order to do this and are still having problems, which it sounds like you still are, you should really start a thread in Malware and post the logs they request. You may still have traces of malware on your computer which could be leading to your continuing problems.

9. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

welcome to MG's.. hang in there the maleware guys are your best bet to sort out your problem. good luck..

10. deanie0923

deanie0923 Private E-2

I found my Control Panel! Yay! Another site sent me to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and although I don't have XP, but have 2000, I decided to try it anyway. Item #296 if I remember correctly helped me find my Panel. I did downloaded something else from Geeks, but have no rememberance of what, but this morning I was able to access my Control Panel and Properties from My Computer which I couldn't do for before.

Nonetheless, I did want to thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. And by the way, I had to laugh at myself because yesterday afternoon I downloaded something and thought, D*** I shouldn't have done that and sure enuf VIRUS and Trojans! However, because of finding my control panel, I uninstalled the program, ran all my Virus stuff, AVG and Spybot and am virus free again. Geez! I gotta be more careful! Thanks again...you guys are great!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds