Hi I need some help

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by KayC, May 1, 2014.

1. KayC

KayC Private E-2

Hi I have just joined, and am a total newby to forums!
    I have a question to ask and I'm not sure this is the right place to ask it?
    I received an email this morning from: <snip>
    The message read: This is hard for me because I have never done anything like this... but I have a huge crush on you.
    I have never been able to tell you for reasons which you would quickly identify as obvious if you
    knew who this was...
    attached was an e-card-21zip 19.7kb

Having been approached in a variety or bizarre & imaginative ways in the past (apparently I am fairly un-approachable through conventional means lol) it is not outside of the realms of ways I have been contacted in the past.
    But..... this one is ringing alarm.
    Is it safe to open? And if not is it safe to just delete?
    KayC

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Welcome to Majorgeeks! :)

Just delete it. Curiosity killed the cat. If you were to open that zip you would more than likely welcome in malware to run free on your machine. You don't want that. These people prey on the fact that some people cannot resist the urge to click. Something like that automatically piques curiosity.. Bad news if ever I heard it.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to Major Geeks. :)

As kestrel already said, it is most definitely an email designed to install malware on your computer. Delete it and do not ever click on a link in an email from someone that you don't know. Btw, links are rare for people to send to others in email, so even if you do receive a link from someone you know, it could be that their email was hijacked, so be extremely careful when you click on it. If it looks strange, it is probably a bad link.

4. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Delete it and run. I'd recognize that zip file anywhere. It is cyberlocker.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds