How Do I Uninstall Norton SystemWorks and AV 2003 ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by DigitalSwag, May 10, 2006.

1. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Hello All,

In the past I have had terrible results from simply uninstalling Norton SystemWorks 2003. It seems as though they punish you for getting rid of them.

I am looking at different options for AV and system upkeep. Symantec seems to have a large overhead and I don't like the way it appears to slow my system. Since my AV subscription is about up I'd like to try something else. So - my question is actually two fold:

1) How do I uninstall without paralyzing my system, as in the past? My registry and other things appeared to have suffered because of the standard Uninstall.

... and

2) Any recommendations regarding a new or less expensive AV & or Utilites for upkeep?

Thank you to all... MG's has been the best site I have found for help in the 11 plus years I have been on the net.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Norton should have an uninstall option ..... after which you might want to run a registry cleaner (back up first), then scan/search for any left over files, then download AVG freeware ..... its on the home page under must have software.
    Glad MG's have been of help over the years.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Go to "Must have downloads" and make your choice from there.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

My choices are Zone Alarm Free (firewall) and Avast (anti-virus) to start with.

Lots like other combinations of Firewall and AV there, as well as other essential programs. Bazza

===

4. diablosflylady

diablosflylady Private E-2

I went to the symantec website and searched for "uninstall" without quotation marks, and it came up with instructions on how to manually uninstall various Norton products. I also know that MG has a link for uninstalling Nortons, unfortunately I couldn't find it again. I have used it myself before.

I use AVG myself along with Spybot, AdAware, CCleaner, Microsoft Antispyware but no firewall.

Hope this helps a little.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I would really recommend that you install a Firewall (your choice) without delay.
    Check out those listed in the "Must have downloads" link that I posted earlier. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds