How to report virus rcvd in download?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ShawnF, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShawnF

ShawnF Private E-2

I recently downloaded some freeware from this site. Within one hour I got a number of virus alerts. How do I report this?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\route.exe Infected: Trojan.Patched.V
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\route.exe Disinfection failed
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\route.exe Moved
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe Infected: Trojan.Patched.V
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe Disinfection failed
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe Moved
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\route.exe Infected: Trojan.Patched.V
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\route.exe Disinfection failed
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\route.exe Moved
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe Infected: Trojan.Patched.V
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe Disinfection failed
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe Moved

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What software did you download, will help us test it? just saying "some freeware" is not a great clue.

What Antivirus software are you using? ( helps because some report flase positives in some applciations maily other security applications, especially if your installing a legit keylogger, IP or bandwidth curbing or other covert security app, these types of software are generally seen as malware even tho they are not, its by design )

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes as Halo has indicated, you will need to tell us what application you downloaded. Also which Windows OS are you using?

The route.exe program listed in your first message is a built-in Windows process; however, that does not mean that something could not have infected it or even replaced it with a different copy. That is exactly what Trojan.Patched.V does.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

route.exe is a MS-DOS Executable from Windows. It is used to block IP connections to the system by added IP addresses to a routing table. This process should not be terminated unless it is causing problems.

5. morgansolutions

morgansolutions Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem as ShawnF - I downloaded a few programs yesterday and they were ALL infectected with the Gaelicum.A trojan (a nasty little bugger).

Would it help if I told you that all the programs I had were downloaded from the MajorGeeks EU server? There may be a problem with that partuclar server if ShawnF used the same server.

I downloaded a hell of a lot of software yesterday and they're all in my virus vault waiting for virus removal.

For those of you who do get these viruses, use the following cleaner to get rid of it:

http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/70/filedir/util/avg_rem_sup.dir/vcleaner.exe

(Restart your comp in safe mode and run the .exe file).

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

WHAT WERE THE PROGRAMS????? I also downloaded 8 applications off the EU server today and yesterday with no issues and on two seperate PCs with differing security and antivirus software.

They were also a mix of .exes and .zips so it would help to know what software you downloaded, we cannot trace and fix any potential issues if details are not given, cheers.

7. Major Attitude

Thia thread is now CLOSED. You did not get infected by us and I have a few problems with this thread.

1: All of a sudden 2 new people claim to get "multiple" viruses from us. Odd, no one else is getting even one.

2: If these are covert op programs or BIOS programs, most are flagged as viruses. If you do not know this, you should not download from these categories.

3: Neither of you have told us the names of these "files". Be specific and we will look into it. Just name a few. It will take about an hour for people to respond and tell you the files are clean.

4: Which brings me to your most likely problem. Your already infected and these downloads are being hit by this infection. If your downloading anti-virus or anti-malware apps, then it is quite possible you know your infected and attempting to launch these apps may be flagging as the infection you have is appearing as it tries to shut them down.

If you care to name some specific files, then please start a new thead so we can actually INVESTIGATE it, otherwise, I am instructing my mods to delete any threads without specifics.

8. Major Attitude

P.S as suspected, I found comments on this virus like this:

"I just recently got the same virus, I didn't realize it though until it had taken over every .exe file on my computer, across three hard drives."

This supports my comments above that you werem infected in advance and your spreading it as you open new executables.

Read this:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

And be more careful accusing people in the future.

9. Major Attitude

P.S.S Also, mirrors auto mirror from 1 server every hour, so if the file was infected, would be overwritten with a clean one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds