HOW to SEARCH for help... Help!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by beckylousiana, Feb 4, 2012.

1. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Private E-2

I have used this forum many times over the years, and have always been saved, but it just seems that I must have forgotten how to search and find help. I would like some tips, any tips, all tips as to search for posts that may have the answer to my question to avoid starting a new thread. I get hundreds of results, and just don't have the time to filter through each one. Like now, I know that my question is simple, and I am not the the first to have a problem with programs trying to open IE for updates & help online, but I have uninstalled IE because basically it sucks. I am using Google Chrome, and would like for my programs such as Microsoft Office (that continues to give me that annoying message that my product may not be valid?!?(, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, etc that continue to try and use IE, and freezes up my computer, because it is not installed.... i tried searching for "programs change default browser ie" and there are 374 results, the first one being titled "How do I change my Knoppix wallpaper" what the heck is that .... none of the others appear to resemble my question. help...

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

Unfortunately, all the words you are going to be using for a search like that are going to be very generic and therefore pull up a lot of threads/posts.

Honestly, rather than becoming frustrated by searching, your best bet is to start a new thread with your particular issue/computer specs/ software version in the appropriate forum.

As far as Chrome...have you made it your default browser? http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95417

3. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Private E-2

I have made Chrome my default, that what confuses me.... Thanx, I will - but What would be the appropriate forum, I don't think it's the software's fault, I have checked setting in each and it does not give you options as to what browser it will use for updates/help/etc.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You should go ahead and post it in Software.

What you will need to do is give some more detail, such as what version of windows you're using as well as version of Office.

You should also give the exact error message you are receiving.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds