How up to date?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by DerrillWatson, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DerrillWatson

DerrillWatson Private E-2

I've been using MajorGeeks for several computers now and have been very pleased with the advice. Thank you! :wave

I just got some new computers and was going through the advice for setting up a new computer when I noticed that the posts are 5 and in some cases 7 years old. There's often no mention of Windows 7 and I wonder ... how often are the primary advice sections updated?

Thank you,
    DW

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's strange as a good % of posts these days are W7 related. Perhaps you meant guides or some such? At any rate, get rid of the crapware first like trial software, it'll just slow you down on boot for no gain.;)

3. DerrillWatson

Yes, I mean the guides. Such as the computer maintenance guides, the malware guides, and so forth in the FAQ section.

4. augiedoggie

The general principles still apply if not the software, malware guides are upto date, it might be that the original post has been updated and the original post was created a few years ago with that time stamp.;) I have no reservations about using the malware guide.:) Just look at the 'last time edited' stamp at the end of the post.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The PC maintanence guides and the Malware ones Augie mentions are current still, the malware ones I know are fully upto date and while the original post on the Read and Run ME malware guide may have a very old date of posting, the bit you need to read in that guide and any malware guides is the edited date at the bottom as they are always reviewed. I know the malware ones are as I have personally done many a test on the apps to scan for malware and their compatibility with the current Windows versions for our malware expert Chaslang, plus I know Chas as very current with all his info.

The immanence guides are generic in their text and the apps that are listed do work in most Windows versions and many if not all in the likes of Windows 7, as the developers keep their apps current so we see no need to change the guide, unless needed, maybe a review of these could be forthcoming.

6. DerrillWatson

Thanks for the reassurance!

7. augiedoggie

Sorry for trying to step in MG mod's shoes DavidGP. I forgot who I am.;):-D

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Well augie...YOU are 'The Smart One' . :-D

Btw, you were totally right.:)

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Agreed he was right and no toes stepped on Augie, as I need all of them! ;)

I do think that its possibly high time we reviewed guides yearly or quarterly at the outside for current information and Derrill thank you for the nudge, dunno when I will get to many of them but I will try my best over the coming months.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds