I can't PM the moderator back so...

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by harleyinquiry, Dec 13, 2010.

1. harleyinquiry

harleyinquiry Private E-2

Today I posted a link to a free software disk imaging program - the program nor the website are mine. I posted the link to the software because I have used it and it works well, especially for being free. I received a PM that my posts were removed by a moderator because it was considered spamming. I don't quite understand? Again, the software isn't mine - the website isn't mine - and the author of the software is not charging money in order to download it... I would have PM'd the moderator back but since I do not have 50 posts yet, PM is not available to me.

What did I do wrong? I thought others might enjoy using the software - and I know I certainly enjoy it being free.

Sorry in advance to any I upset with this post. I would just like to understand so I don't make the same mistake again in the future.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

It was me that deleted your post. Actually, I meant to give you an email address where you could respond since you have less than 50 posts. Sorry about that oversight.

I deleted it because the thread you started was unsolicited and the link in the other thread was not to software, it was to the site in general. That is generally considered spamming or advertising. I had a feeling that was not your intent which is why I had pm'd you.

Major Geeks is first and foremost a site to download software (most of which is free (http://www.majorgeeks.com/). That is where most of our members get their downloads and they are sure that all downloads are clean and free of malware because it is thoroughly tested by the two owners. As a download site, we prefer that, unless something isn't available here, all suggested links are major geeks links.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

We are often faced with spammers. So it is not always easy to know who is trying to spam the forums when a new member signs up. What I would suggest you do at this point is to post an email to MA ( Tim at Majorgeeks.com ) with the suggestion that he may wish to add it to our list of freeware programs. :)

4. harleyinquiry

Spamming was never my intent. I am a long time reader here and I just joined so I could hopefully help others - I posted the link to help others.

I will email the programmer of ePEffigy to see if they want the program posted elsewhere - if he is ok with it, then I will email Tim here at MajorGeeks and let him know about it.

Thanks for your replies.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I assumed not, which is, again, why I pm'd you.:)

I'm glad you came out of lurk mode and joined up. I also didn't mean to make you feel bad. As TimW stated we get a lot of spam here, so we are very careful.

Welcome to MGs and hope to see you around.:)

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Have them contact me, what happened was 2 of your first 3 posts contained an exteranl link. Simple enough :) I will take a look, not a lot of good disk imaging programs out there.

7. harleyinquiry

Can you PM me an email address? Or better yet maybe just get a hold of the author at http://www.epeffigy.com - he has a contact link there I believe.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

No need I am evaluating it as we speak. Doing basic scans first.

9. harleyinquiry

Awesome! I see it is posted here on MG! So I did well this time? :)

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Looks like it!!! Good to have you aboard!! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds