I welcome you all...

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Alpinwolf, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Alpinwolf

Alpinwolf Guest

...as new additions to my World Delusion I like to call "life". :p

In other words.. HI! :wave

Now if someone could direct me to the proper thread to express a concern about a possible infection on a MG hosted file, that would be peachy. :cool

kthxbai!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's!!

All of our downloads are tested before they are posted. We have never had a download that contained a virus. If you are having a malware issue, please do this:
    READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

Then when you have the requested logs, start a thread in the malware forum. :)

3. Alpinwolf

Alpinwolf Guest

Thanks TimW, I do trust your files, which is why I've browsed and lurked here for years and years! :clap

Actually I think it may be a false positive, and I'm not having malware issues right now. So is it still a malware forum issue? I didn't want to bog down the welcome thread with technicalities. :-o

Thanks!

4. TimW

Not knowing what program is flagging it or if you have run alternate scans using SuperAnti-spyware and MalwareBytes Anti-malware programs makes it hard to say. But we do know that some AV programs will throw up false positives with some programs.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome aboard Alpinwolf, I've been here for 7 years and never had an infected download. If upon installing said application your anti-virus reared up it's ugly head then it's a false positive and it happens time to time. So which file are you having trouble with? I won't be able to help but someone else sure can.

EDIT: Sigh, I'm too slow as always.:( :-D

6. Alpinwolf

Alpinwolf Guest

Thanks to you both!

Well, since y'all asked..

My AVG this morning flagged RRT.exe as being or having a trojan.

AVG vitals:
    version: 8.5.425
    virus db: 270.14.72/2511
    released: November 17, 2009, 11:50pm

And the Remove Restriction Tool came from:
    http://majorgeeks.com/RRT_Remove_Restrictions_Tool_d5635.html

I had RRT already for about a year, and AVG never flagged it before. After nabbing it today and quarantining, I downloaded a new one from here and immediately scanned it, and it was flagged again, like this:

Object name - C:\####\RRT.exe
    Detection name - Trojan horse Clicker.ADQK
    Object type - file
    SDK Type - Core
    Result - Moved to Virus Vault

So like I said, I dunno where to take this. :-o

Cheers!

7. TimW

Downloaded: 34958 Times

I suspect that the program makes changes to your system and that is why it is being flagged.

Avira has been reporting that our MGTools.exe is a virus. So go figure!! LOL

8. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, Alpinwolf:wave May have been a glitch, for sure, Good to have ya join us! I am sure you will find lots to read in the forum. ;)

9. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, Alpinwolf :wave lots of places to go and lots of people to meet here, sounds like a theme park don't it LOL welcome aboard anyway ! ;)
    P.S this place is like going to the doctors, you get infected, come in here and don't talk to anyone just read loads of stuff until your shouted into the surgery !

10. shiratnm

shiratnm Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds