I wish I were a geek

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by epicfail13, Oct 13, 2009.

1. epicfail13

epicfail13 Private E-2

I keep rewriting this post like it's the most important thing ever.

Basically, I really wish I could be geeky enough to solve computer problems on my own. At the moment, I'm stuck searching the Internet for help. I'm throwing myself at every chance to troubleshoot computers for my family and friends because I learn something each time.

I run Windows XP Pro SP3, and I'm interested in Linux but too afraid to try it. I'm not afraid to use Task Manager to stop programs that are doing nothing, I know how to start in Safe Mode, I know how to use System Restore, but I have not reformatted a computer (never had to) or manually changed the registry. I have installed RAM in my computer, a laptop going on 7 years that still runs reliably (and it has never been reformatted).

I'm not entirely certain why I chose epicfail13, other than to express my frustration that I'm not geeky enough.

2. silas

silas MajorGeek

Hello and welcome to MG forums! :wave Very great place :grouphug Theres different sections that you can post if need and to just plain read if you want. Many and many pages ahead of you!

3. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

Welcome epicfail13 :wave
    MG is a great site for learning.

Shelagh :)

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG epicfail13 :wave Just stick around here, read some threads in the forum, post some questions, and you will learn a LOT.. this place has a TON to offer you, all you have to do is have an open mind and read and learn. ;)

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Every geek searches the internet for something. whether its for help or best practice outlined by other geeks, its something you have to do. cant know everything...

build up a test computer to try stuff on if you dont want to try it out on a computer you dont want to screw up.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehehe, as I was a wannabe geek too, I basically read every post here if I knew what it was about or not for four years, after that things started to gel, even though I had bought a couple of O'Reilly books for XP thinking this will teach me everything I need.rolleyes NOT!

It's the give and take here that really taught me, people talking to people. I now consider myself a minor geek.;)

Welcome aboard!:cool

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    What? You think we are born knowing this stuff?
    No Way.Lots of study time in the area you choose.

8. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Welcome to MG epicfail13 :wave you will learn all the time on these forums, not that i have like ! :-D

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Don't know about that, Rusty.
    The ladies here have taught you to behave(somewhat).rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds