I'm overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ann.nico, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ann.nico

ann.nico Private E-2

Hi, my name is Ann. I'm a senior and not very computer literate. Took me ages just to get this far on here.
    I'm actually writing this for my daughter. She can't get on the Internet right now because her laptop is messed up.
    I couldn't find anything here on removing Vista and reinstalling Windows XP.
    That is what my daughter tried to do. Now having major problems.
    I'm attaching the email she was able to send me last night and if anyone knows what she should do, then please reply.
    You can even email me at <!-- SNIP --> Just in case I can't figure out how to get back to here.
    I just realized this is Welcome Center. Where would I post this message to get help. I'm sorry I just don't know. Anyway, here is her email:

Mom,

I was going to try posting my question, but you have to register. I tried registering, but couldn’t. I’m having so many problems right now. I can’t even access the internet because it appears my browser is not working, and I don’t know how to download a browser if I can’t get to the web page. I thought it was on my disk. UGHHH! Anyway, I lucked out and can at least send and receive email through my Outlook. By the way DELL was no help at all!!!! If you can post this for me, that would be great. Here goes………

I installed Vista on my computer and after becoming frustrated with all the incompatibilities, I decided to go back to XP. I followed the step-by-step instructions on Microsoft’s support page to perform a clean installation of XP. I backed up all of my files, photos, music, etc. just as suggested. HOWEVER, when I attempted to restore my files and settings through the Backup or Restore Wizard, the “Items to Restore” window only shows “file” in the left column and will not open or respond when I click on it. The right side of the window titled “Backup Identification Label” shows “no entries found”.

If I click Browse the “open backup file” window comes up and already had “Backup.bkf” listed as the file to catalog. However, when I click on it, it states that the file specified doesn’t exist or does not contain any backup sets. When I browse from this window and select my computer and my drive (E) that contains my backup disk, it shows my backup set and files, but nothing happens when I try to open them.

HOWEVER, when I go into “My Computer” and select this drive/disk, it shows all the zipped backup files from 2 to 25 (not sure why there is not a 1). Do I have to manually select EACH file and then extract the data????? If so, how do I know where to extract it to.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!! First I was sorry I installed Vista…..NOW I am sorry I went back to XP. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you for any help,
    Ann

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Welcome, ann.nico,,,This is how most of us got here (with a prob) Try reposting this in software and someone will have an answer for you

3. ann.nico

ann.nico Private E-2

Thank you. I'll give it a try.
    Ann

4. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

5. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

Welcome to MGs ;)

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)

7. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

hi and welcome to MG's..

8. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

welcome to MG. I will follow this problem with interest. The MG here are probably the best on the planet at sorting out issues, so don't worry (too much).
    :)

9. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Hello :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds