Installing Office 2010 On Windows 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by whril, Dec 4, 2015.

1. whril

whril Private First Class

i have an hp laptop that was upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.

i am trying to install 2010 office professional plus and am not being successful. the following error appears
    "this product requires windows server 2008 service pack 2 or above. "

from what i understand i can't install the service pack 2 until service pack 1 installed. which is all 6's as i can't seem to find either for windows 10.

when the machine was running 7 the office was not installed so i need to roll back to windows 7 to install the office and then back to 10 or can i get this installed as is.

thanks
    smile
    whril

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

According to Microsoft:

"The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:
    • Office 2016 Preview
    • Office 2013/Office 365
    • Office 2010 with exception Office Starter 2010
    • Office 2007"
    To the best of my knowledge, MSO Professional Plus* editions are beta trials. That's probably why you got the unusual error message.

And no, there are no services packs for Windows 10.

*Please confirm the exact edition of MSO 2010.

3. whril

i don't think this is an office starter. is a licensed program of microsoft office professional plus 2010 with microsoft office web apps 2010. the dvd doesn't say beta on it. it is licensed for 5 computers and in use on 4. that is all i really know.
    smile
    whril

4. Eldon

5. whril

okay i am confused. i don't believe this is an evaluation. this is a product that we have been using full featured for 5 years. we have a microsoft volume license for the product and it is currently on 4 other computers. the computer that has windows 10 was recently donated to us and never had an office program hence the wanting to put the 5th license on it, if i can get it installed.
    smile
    whril

6. Eldon

Open Word on any or all 4 of the other PCs and check the edition. Take a screenshot(s) and post it.

7. whril

okay i can do that. might not be til later this week tho when i get back to the farm.
    thanks!
    smile
    whril

8. whril

would a pix of the dvd help?

9. Eldon

No.
    I suspect the MSO editions on the 4 PCs may have been upgraded to full versions.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is this version on CD/DVD or an ISO?

As I have installed Office 2010 on a Windows 10 Laptop the other week ok, it was from the ISO version mind.

11. whril

it is from a dvd.

i called the secretary and asked her and she said the office professional plus we have has never been upgraded. the registration numbers i have are a printout taken from the microsoft volume licensing service center online account.

smile

12. Eldon

13. whril

14. Eldon

We are indeed talking about 2 different products.

Now, back to your original question...
    You have 1 month after upgrading to roll back to Windows 7. Whether your particular version of MSO will migrate with the upgrade, I cannot say. It's certainly worth a try.

15. whril

two dimensional conversation at its best. :)

so you are saying that i should revert back to 7. install the program. upgrade back to 10?

if it doesn't migrate can i revert back to 7 a second time?

smile

16. Eldon

Yes & yes.
    Remember you can only revert back to Windows 7 for 1 month after upgrading. After that you'll have to do a clean install of Windows 10.

17. whril

i ended up doing a clean install of windows 7. everything went fine til i tried to install the office then i received the same error......
    "this product requires windows server 2008 service pack 2 or above. "
    windows 7 does not have a windows server 2008 service pack 2 and the vista download will not take.
    the specs on the office say it will work on windows 7 however researching this problem on the microsoft site gave no answers.
    any suggestions?

smile

18. Eldon

All I can suggest is you contact SoftwareMedia.com.

19. whril

well dang! i don't think i have ever had a problem beyond the geeks skill to solve!
    will let you know what i find.
    smile

20. whril

softwaremedia can not help as i am not a paying customer. i think the confusion here was the link i posted. that was just an example of what edition i have, it was bought through microsoft which no longer carries it.

anyway, last night i had briefly checked the messages here and there was a suggestion to try. this morning i go to try it and it is gone. confused as to the reason? and what to do now.

smile

21. Eldon

Then you need to contact Microsoft.

Windows 7
    Mainstream Support – ends 13th Jan 2015
    Extended Support – ends 14th Jan 2020

Office 2010
    Mainstream Support – ends 13th Oct 2015
    Extended Support – ends 13th Oct 2020

FYI The post was deleted as per the member's request. It would not have helped because you re-installed Windows.

22. whril

ahh that makes sense.

i received no satisfactory reply from microsoft, nor did i really expect to as the only advice i had seen on their forums i and others had tried to no avail.

i did, however, find a post with a link to tomsguide about the issue. it seem that with the professional plus 2010 volume licensed editions must be validated through the server. seems the server will have a validation key on it. since i know nothing about servers i will pass this problem on to someone more knowledgeable in that area.
    thanks!

smile

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Office 2010 will install on Windows 10 as I have it on my moms laptop as that was the only spare licence I had and she doesn't need power usage as current Office, I would copy the files from the DVD to your desktop and install from there. Make sure you don eany3rd party antivirus software installed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds