Isp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Skysarge, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Fellow asking about ISP.
    Has broadcast TV only
    Phone is cell
    Will likely use only basic internet, speed not factor, cost somewhat important.
    Any recommendations? Note: My ISP is high speed, tied with cable TV, far more than he wants.
    Thanks, gang.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

He has to find out what is available in his area. Usually an area has exactly one cable company and one phone company. (There are exceptions; my mom's area had 2 cable companies so her tv prices were lower than ours because of the competition.)

Have him call the cable company and the phone company and ask the price for internet only, lowest tier in terms of speed. dsl is slower than cable. dsl has taxes tacked onto the price quote but cable doesn't so be sure he asks about the price with all the taxes.

3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

This must be akin to what you guys get.
    I researched ISP's for the man, answered questions he had about getting his own website so he could advertise his remodeling/handyman services.
    We settled on an ISP and setting up a web site, and I gave him contact numbers. I realized I did not know if he used a PC or Mac, so I asked.
    He does not have a computer.
    Daddy told me about folks like that. I thought he was joking. Aaarrrghhhh

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Unbelievable! o_O

Reminds me of a member I tried to help determine why his computer was making a strange noise. After hours and many posts he turned off the computer and the noise was still there! It was coming from the building he's living in... :eek:

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sad, if he doesn't realize you need a computer to build a website, I'm not sure I'd trust him to be my handyman!

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

LMAO!

7. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Not sure how he derived at the conclusion, but the thought he only needed a landline phone. When I explained who, what, when, why, I saw a blank expression. And I thought I was computer challenged.
    At least he is a decent handyman. Replaced my rear fence and rewired a couple of power circuits. (Where I live only licensed electricians can do electrical work. DIY is a no no.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds