Kinda old for a newbie...

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by cobrajet431, May 29, 2006.

1. cobrajet431

cobrajet431 Private First Class

HI all! So glad i found this forum. I hung around Yahoo anti-spy forum for a few weeks and it is un-moderated, obscene and generally sucks. I just joined here this morning and this really looks like something i'll enjoy! I have an HP Pavilion XE732 that i bought for my GF's daughter 6 yrs. ago. They got a new Dell a couple months ago and gave me the one i bought them, so this old Dinosaur is my first ever puter! I installed my NIC card myself and got DSL, then i bumped up my RAM to 512megs myself too. So far so good on the DIY's! My firewall, anti-virus, and antispys are all freebies, mostly gotten from here or PCWorld. Now I want to replace the ORIGINAL 15GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive. I don't know if i can do this myself, but i'm juiced about trying! I hope you guys can give me some pertinent leads...i've googled a few things but the info is so vast it's like needle in haystack info-seeking. Well anyhow I'm happy to be here and you all have a great day! THANKS. P>S> Sorry for the long hello!

2. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Welcome, you've found a great site. Even for Ford Lovers.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Hello, and welcome! You should do just fine replacing your hard drive. This link is a pictorial guide to doing so, http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_hard.htm. Make sure that you have your OS disk handy, as well as antivirus app. before going online!:)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and welcome cobrajet, pop a question into the hardware part of the forum and no doubt the guys and girls ( plus I will have some other tips to follow before changing or alternative options ) will talk you through the steps needed for installing a new HD, if you have installed a NIC and RAM you'll be fine with a HD.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome mate, thanks for the intro and enjoy your stay. :)

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

Steve

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Welcome aboard, your only too old when you stop breathing :)

8. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Welcome! You have found the best website that exists for the computer novice. Trust me . . . I have learned more here then in any other place I have visited. There are really bright, savvy souls that haunt this corner of the www - and they are ready to help any and all, without question.

Here is a good starter-guide to installing a new hard-drive. It's the one I used when I first did it - it's geared toward Windows 98 (and 95 - not sure what O.S. you are using). Actually, there are other good guides here also.

Nobody was a bigger newbie then me when I stumbled through the door of Major Geeks! . . . and I'm no spring chicken! lol

http://www.directron.com/how.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2006
  9. cobrajet431

cobrajet431 Private First Class

Thank you for the link. I will check it out. My OS is ME...i know i forgot to say that in my "short story" but couldn't figure how to edit! lol.

10. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Edit only works for 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes people change original statements, so we added that in :)

11. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Unless off-course, you own the place. Then you get as long as you want. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds