Major Catastrophe!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by smartiepants, Jul 20, 2008.

1. smartiepants

smartiepants Private E-2

Hi All,

I'm a newbie, I've been around a short while and have been trying to work through Read&Run me first thread. I've had some sucesses and removed some malware.. thought things were going well. But I followed some advice and got rid of some programs and got some new ones - got a new firewall and my computer's been crashing ever since.

I'm at work now posting in desperation. I've been re-starting my computer repeatedly for the last 2 days and managed to uninstall the firewall, so I can get online now but am not sure what to do next. Scared to do much with no firewall!!

Where should I go to start all over again?

Help!
    :cry

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I would suggest you start with the Read and RUn First sticky in the malware forum and start a thread there when you have the logs to attach. ...Or better, finish the thread you started there.

And Welcome to MG's.

3. smartiepants

smartiepants Private E-2

Thanks Tim,

I've lost track of my original thread in the malware section.. it's dropped off somewhere.

I really appreciate everyone's help here.. I am just so much of a newbie that I don't know which advice is best to follow sometimes. Combinations of software is so confusing!

Some questions:

- I did not quite understand the bit in the READ&RUN ME FIRST post about msconfig by chaslang. I do not know how to look at or edit the startup suff and I know something is wrong there as my MYOB starts trying to install on startup and I've not touched that program for more than a month!

- how do I generate a log?

Thanks again Tim
    :eek:

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Your original thread is here:
    AVG Anti-Spyware Help (Norton STINKS!!)

Download and run SuperAnti-spyware, MalwareBytes and ComboFIx as well as MGTools.exe.....just follow the instructions....each will produce a log. Attach them to the thread in the malware section.

5. smartiepants

smartiepants Private E-2

Ok, shall do Tim, soon as I get home from work. And thanks for finding that thread!

I hate to be a pain, but can you find the one called something like 'AVG Antivirus Help' that I had running before this one? It was some process I was following there that got me into this pickle.. not sure whether it was the firewall or the Windows cleaner or something else. I thought I was going great guns and then things went pearshaped.
    :confused

6. smartiepants

smartiepants Private E-2

I mean,
    I'm not sure whether it was something I did or did not do in part of the process :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds