MajorGeek Registration problems and peculiarities

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by alan12345, Oct 2, 2009.

1. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

I actually joined to post a problem I have with my PC.

But before I forget - difficulties I have run in to so far :-

This is post my number 1.
    I have another 49 to go before I qualify for posting a private message.
    Is it possible for a kindly moderator etc. to end me a P.M. to which I may respond and ask for an explanation of what is meant in the initial registration to MajorGeeks by the three letter word that is considered illegal and may not be posted. I have used such items for every working day of my 30 year career as an embedded software engineer.
    Because it is declared illegal, I will say no more.

In "My Control Panel" => Edit Options => Private Messaging
    Below "Enable Private Messaging" is a blank checkable box with no description. Secret option or spare for future use ?

"My Control Panel" => Thread Display mode.
    When I click "this help page" I am told "Invalid FAQ - notify administrator"
    I was going to P.M. him - but 49 more posts to go ! ! !

Regards
    Alan

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Please email me your issues:
    timw at majorgeeks.com

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and Welcome :)

Yes, private messaging is disabled for people with less than 50 posts. Your box you asked about will be active after that. One of the reasons is based on making sure no one is spammed by bots and others. Really, there isn't any reason for private messaging to be enabled for a new member since this is first and foremost a help forum. All help is to be done on the forums so it can be used by people with the same problem or for learning purposes.

{edited post based on TimW's response}

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, alan12345:wave,

Hang in there, and have a look around the forum... Check it out.. you can post in any thread, and if you post in Malware, you cannot reply to any post in Malware... Only qualified experts can do that...

You CAN post and reply to any post in Software, or the Lounge, and any thread except Malware..

I sure hope you stick around, as this is really a great place. LOTS to learn too. ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

ROMs refers to illegal gaming roms :) This refers to gaming roms which are basically full versions of software for emulators. Your thinking of specific ROM, not what we are talking about.

6. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

Thank you everyone for your welcome, and for explaining my first two points of concern.

Laura. "Can we exchange photos please ?"
    That was a Private Message that I received on one technical forum.
    Massive deflation of egos all around when each of us saw that everyone else had got the same spam message by some-one (or perhaps a BOT) that had joined earlier in the day ! ! !
    I can fully appreciate your explanation of the anti-spam precaution.

I am happy to say I now have a thread display mode I am familiar with,
    and am content for the missing FAQ page to be corrected for the benefit of future newcomers.

I will now continue browsing for a while whilst I consider how best to explain my current concern about Windows XP.

Regards
    Alan

7. LauraR

Glad you got it figured out. :)

What you referenced is exactly what I was talking about. It's an unfortunate fact of life online in every venue...spam. You do what you can to eliminate it.

Take a look around. You'll find some great people who are very knowledgeable here. Jump in to help if you have advice. It's always appreciated. I know you already read the rules, so you're good there. ;)

Good to have you,

Laura

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  8. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

Thank you Laura.
    I have a problem that I will be seeking advice on, but I am more than happy to give advice where I can help.

Caution.
    You may have detected I have a sense of humour - it gets worse ! !

Alan

9. LauraR

You mean you didn't see the part in the rules about a sense of humor not being allowed??

I may have to ban you!

:-D

PS...just post your question in the right forum and hopefully you'll get some help.

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Humor is definitely frowned upon here we are deadly serious.

Welcome to MGs

I love it here.
    "I feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony. I
    look around and I know it's wonderful to be here, but I don't
    know where to begin."

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds