Microsoft BKF Repair Utility

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by shaun2509, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaun2509

shaun2509 Private E-2

Hi,

Does ayone know where I can find a utility to repair a corrupt Microsoft XP Backup .BKF File?

:confused:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Could rename is as .old and then copy new from xp cd ....or start / run / type
    "sfc /scannow" without qoutes and be ready to put xp cd in drive ....

Welcome to MG's!!!

3. shaun2509

shaun2509 Private E-2

Thanx TimW,

I'll give it a try...

4. leighmarker

leighmarker Private E-2

did you ever find a repair for your corrupt bkf file? I have one (my entire system) and I cant see paying 149.00 bucks for the software I have found-thought there would be an easier way.

5. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

6. leighmarker

leighmarker Private E-2

thanks for the link! and the welcome, I have been a member of the group for a long time, but I just usually lurk-I couldnt wait anymore (work) and had to purchase some software-I finally got "Kernel BKF File Repair' it worked great and very fast. Wish there had been soemthing less costly though.
    Thanks again.

7. shaun2509

shaun2509 Private E-2

I didn't buy and repair software in the end - I got around it.
    I had the BKF across 4 250Mb zip diskettes. The first one was corrupt (the backup thought tha it was a 100Mb disk and spat the dummy ater reading the first 100Mb of the 250Mb on it. There was never a 5th disk and the bakup wanted one at the time of the backup.
    What I did was do a restore from each disk asking for a new catalogue of each. I found that when the restore bombed out the file that it was boming out on was there on disk until you hit the CANCEL button on the resore error message. By copying the file to a new location before hitting CANCEL, I managed to save what I could of the file. When you hit CANCEL, the restore program cleans up all of the files and you lose them.
    In the end, I was after a 90Mb OUTLOOK.PST file that contained all of my historical emails and, guess what, that wasthe last file on the 4th disk!
    Using the above method, I managed to more or less recover all of the .PST and all of my emails.
    I hope this was of interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds