microsoft works

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by liz57, Oct 16, 2006.

1. liz57

liz57 Private E-2

hi! i am really new here but i have a question i hope you can answer for me.

receintly we had major problems with this beast!(computer) and we had the old hard drive removed and a bigger and better one put in..but the problem was our old drive had microsoft works in it and some of my floppys ( the ones i used works on don't work. is therea program i can download free or reasonalbly priced that i can download that would possably open these files?

i'm not afraid to download but i don't want something that gives me programs i really have no use for.
    we still have xp home edition and a larger gig drive. we just have the basic windows no works just note pad and wordpad. i can no langer make my text files into html files.

is there any thing that i can download that will open these floppys or am i sol?:eek:

any help would be appreciated!

thank you so much

liz57

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

So, you need to install works, but the floppies are shot or something else?

3. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

4. insamaic

insamaic Guest

Floppies? Lol, a bit out-dated.

Yeah, I'd go for Open Office, or maybe you could try Microsoft Office 2007 BETA. :)

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The sad thing about MS Works is it uses a proprietry file format ( .wps ) that only MS Works or MS Office with a add-on converter installed ( dependent on version ) will open them. So as MA posted above you will if you have the CD for Works is to re-install that.

However give this a try as a workaround if you do not have MS Works or MS Office, download this Word Viewer 2003

Once installed and run, in the Dropdown Menu headed Files of Type > choose All Files

Then Browse for your Works documents, highlight one and choose Open, your document will show on screen, BUT as this is only a Viewer application as does not save you will have to copy and paste ( hold CTRL A to highlight all text ) the text into another word processor, as suggested Open Office is Free and does nearly all the things MS Office does.

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)

7. liz57

liz57 Private E-2

thank you guys for all your help. and thanks for the welcome!!
    the floppies are fine i just can't read the works files... the text files and html files read fine.
    when we had the hard drive replaced the guy didn't put works on it. if i had known i would have had trouble with the works files i would have had him put it in but as it is i wasn't thinking that far ahead. lol.

yes floppies are out of date but our old computer didn't have a burner on it and so saving the files to a cd was impossable. but now we have a dvd and cd burner. and i still save some files on floppies...

any way.. yes i will download open office and word veiwer thanks so much!!
    you guys are awesome!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds