My computer is VERY SLOW!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by jmartin1, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jmartin1

jmartin1 Private E-2

Hello, I am new here.....I found this place while in search of how I can speed up my computer. When i boot it up, it says things about the registry hive is in 1 fragment....etc. then it continues and i login. Then when loading my user profile, that's where it gets really slow and never really recovers after that. Opening programs, web pages, videos anything is slow.....except for downloading.....that seems to be a pretty quick, smooth and relatively painless experience.
    Any thoughts??
    I defragment often, run the disk cleaner, CCleaner, Avast home edition virus scanner, and I purchased Trend Micro Internet Security 2008. I run all those often and don't really come up with much and it doesn't seem to speed up but a little and then bogs back down quickly. Recently it's started freezing up on me and I've come close to throwing the computer through my window.
    Here's a little about what I'm running

Windows XP SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.60GHz
    2.0 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I have 2 hard drives......ones small, C: drive 68.3GB and F: drive 298GB

I downloaded HiJackThis and will attach a log in case that'll help speed up the process. (tired of slow moving things....i.e. my computer...lol)
    Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time and help!

Attached Files:

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

welcome to majorgeeks :wave

As this is just the welcome center you would be better off advised to create a new thread in the software forum. Someone will help you out there
    Very best of luck
    Kes13!

3. jmartin1

jmartin1 Private E-2

Shoot..............ok, I'll try to figure out how to get it over there. Thank you

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds