Newbie Introduction

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by McFeist, Jun 22, 2009.

1. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

Hi! I am just posting here to introduce myself and say hello. I spent the whole day today scanning the computer, deleting old programs, updating programs that needed to be updated, defragmenting, etc. Whew. I fear I may have a nasty infection, although the computer is not showing any signs or symptoms yet. I already posted my logs and such in the Malware Forum, so we will see.

Anyway, I am now doing my introduction, and I just want to thank you all for being here. What an awesome forum and resource. Bless you all.

I was wondering something as well. I work from home using my own computer, and I'd really like to get a new computer for work, but the software I use for work is not compatible with Vista. I talked with a customer service rep from Dell, and he really tried to talk me into getting a Vista machine saying how bad of an idea it would be to get an XP machine and that XP is old and out of date, etc. I CAN'T use Vista for work, and I tried to explain this to him. Would it really be that awful to get a Dell loaded with XP (assuming they are still available) that I can later upgrade to Vista? My husband works for AT&T, and they're still on XP--even their new machines. My friend working for the federal government says they're still loading XP on their new machines as well.

Just wondering why XP is so bad, according to the Dell rep. I'd better wrap this post up since it's getting way too long for an intro! Thank you.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's! You should probably post in the software section for further discussion about this, but the short answer is there is nothing wrong with xp and I would insist on a new machine loaded with xp pro. A large enough hard drive that you can dual boot to vista if you wish at at a later date. :)

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

Hello and Welcome :wave Good to see you here and posting. I love windows XP:-D

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome, McFeist :wave to the bestest place around for any ??? you may have... I have a Dell with Windows XP Pro, and I love it.. No problems for me.. When I did have problems, I found out it was "user" not "computer" !:-D
    I would second TimW's post, also... Nothing wrong with XP Pro.;)

5. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Hello, McFeist, welcome to MGs :wave
    Sounds like a great name for a 70s hippy prog rock band. LOL

Good luck on the malware issue. If it is a bug, you in the right place for a positive outcome. It ain't got a chance. :major

6. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

7. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

Hee, hee. That went by me at first. I will admit that I am not well-versed or literate in pop culture or the music scene.

Thanks everyone for the awesome welcome. Thanks about XP Pro as well. It is what I am using now, and I love it. I felt like it was a sales pitch and the guy was trying to use a little scare tactic to get me to buy a machine with Vista.

8. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Hey there and welcome McFeist
    I see you've already met some of the locals and I'm another.:-D On an average they are a great group here.

BUT as you can see there are a few loose ones running aroundLOL Joey is...wel-l-l-l.... His name says it "OFF THE STREETS" :-D (jk jots u no I luv ya)Not roflmaoroflmao
    Check out the rest of the place I'm sure you will find some interesting things and people here. And again Welcome!:wave

Yeah, I know Adm keep it to the "off topics forums" just couldn't hold it anymore. as she sleek out of sight

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    What type of symptoms make you think you have an infection?If general slowdown, may well be a problem with too many loading and running at one time. Easy to fix.
    No matter what the problem is, there are people here who can help make it right.

10. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

hello and a warm welcome to majorgeeks :)

11. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

Actually, my computer is running just fine, but Avast and Spybot dectected some things in routine scanning. Avast was picking up on a Win32:Trojan-gen and Win32:RustNT and a few others each time I scanned for a couple of weeks, but now it hasn't since I went through Read Me and Run. I did post on the Malware Forum, and I went through the Read Me and Run section and posted my logs just to be sure I'm clean. Spybot picked up Virtumonde.sdn and PWS.Small.bs. I've been clean since doing Read Me and Run, at least according to Avast and Spybot. I am crossing my fingers. I have not been to any of my financial institutions or made any purchases from my computer since, and I do all my stuff online, so I am really hoping that I won't have to reformat.

12. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi McFeist, now it is time to hurry up and wait... That is OK, because those in the malware section are extremely efficient. I give them a LOT of credit, because they have a LOT more patients than I do ;)

Seriously, tho, just hang around, and check out the forums, and relax a bit... I am sure they will give you a real good piece of mind... But, ya gotta have patients ;)

13. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Not those kind of patients LOL

14. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

LOL! I even used spell check on that one! :-D
    But, I do give them KUDOS! :)

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

In a way,they are your "patients" though, Kes.

16. McFeist

McFeist Private E-2

Thank you. I will wait patiently. I am already feeling a lot better about things after going through the Read Me and Run. I am so, so appreciative that there are people willing to take the time and look at all these logs and then work with me to clean up my computer. That is simply awesome. :)

17. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

:wave and welcome!! This IS the best puter forum around!!!! Have fun and you will in due course get the answers you need :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds