Newbie question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by smorton, Dec 18, 2007.

1. smorton

smorton Private E-2

I hardly know anything about computers but would like to learn. Is this forum going to be too complex for me? Does anyone know of a computer forum for dummies? Is there a true beginner's forum?

I have a 3.5 year old Dell with Windows XP. I want to get a new computer, but I don't want go get Vista.

Thanks for any input.

smorton

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Welcome to MG.
    Just remind everyone that your PC knowledge is limited when you post a question. If you don't understand an answer to a question, just tell us that and you will get a step by step. Nearly everyone here is very patient. Read some of the threads here and try to understand what is being said. Some of it may be over your head but some of the threads will be right in your knowledge area. If you read something you don't understand but would like to, start your own thread asking what was meant in the thread that you can't understand.
    This is a great place to learn. Soon you will be probably answering some yourself.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

This is a great site for all levels of users.

As muskie said, everyone is pretty patient here. Rudeness is not tolerated by the moderators, so you don't need to worry on that account.

There are a couple of basics:

1. Start your own thread if you have a question. Don't ask your question in someone else's thread since they are also looking for answers.

2. Be very specific about your problem or question. Also state what Operating system you are using.

Welcome to MGs. Enjoy the site and don't be afraid to post.:)

As far as your question regarding buying a new computer... if you want you can start a thread in the software forum stating that you were looking for imput on what Operating system you should get. Just a warning though, you'll get all sort of opinions. :D Again, be specific on your needs in a computer and you'll get more thorough answers.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Nothing wrong with a 3.5 year old Dell....mine was 6 before I decided it was time to lay it to rest. :cry :D
    @ smorton There is a guy here that still uses either TRS-80's or Commodores in his business.

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

6. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's.. we all have to start somewhere so dont be scared to ask anything you dont know about...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds