newbie with a question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by brat2be, Oct 19, 2006.

1. brat2be

brat2be Private E-2

ok i am very much a beginner with puters so this may sound like a dumb question...but since i don't know the answer it's not dumb to me: is there an approx amount of registry files that should be on a home computer??? and is there a way to safely clean up any old ones??? i wouldn't have a clue which ones are good or bad so i would need some type of program that already knows that if there is such a thing??

thanks!

learning from others.....

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Hi brat2be and welcome to Major Geeks if you use this link http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191 you will be able to download CCleaner and it will clean your registry and ask if you want to back-up click yes and it will create a back-up on your system. I find "My Documents" a good place to store the back-up files. The registry cleaner in CCleaner is the "Issues" icon, the other cleaner tab is for temp files and cookies etc.

PS There are know "Dumb" questions here at MG, just questions you do not have the answer for, have a great time here brat2be:) :D

3. brat2be

brat2be Private E-2

thank you so much...i have done that yesterday... i was just curious as there were over 20,000 entries...to me that seemed very excessive...i wondered if maybe there was something going on behind the scenes that maybe was creating all these....thank you for all your help

4. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

The amount of registry files is totally dependent on the software you keep!
    ie..its different for everyone.

BC's advice is good and should be followed to eliminate any concerns you may have!!

Regards.....

5. brat2be

brat2be Private E-2

ok, i figured it would be different for everyone to some extent....guess i don't know much about that kind of stuff and it seemed excessive to me but if it doesn't seem that way to anyone else then i guess i am ok....

6. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

If your system seems all normal...its a good sign!
    when you start to notice weird changes on the way things present...thats a cause for investigation!

Like they say...if it aint broke, dont fix it!

Good luck.

7. brat2be

brat2be Private E-2

well we got the computer used and it works very slow...also i have a post in the malware section that lists all the major issues with it ie: project1, kq32 worm....sd bot worm(?), explorer.exe using up 98% of cpu usage so you couldn't do anything...some problems are now fixed...i just don't know how to find out if ALL the problems have been fixed...thanks so much!

8. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

9. brat2be

brat2be Private E-2

thank you - i checvked the thread out and its chock full of good info......i love this site!! thank you to everyone for their help!

10. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)

11. brat2be

brat2be Private E-2

well for some reason - now that i am at home i can no longer pull up the info from mada milty about speeding up the computer....i have tried to pull it up in various threads (some listing it as: speed up my pc) and it gets telling me i did not pull up a valid thread and to report it to major geeks admin???? now that i am home i would like to try some of the tips....what forum section can i find it in and will i then be able to pull it up then??? i pulled it up fine from work yesterday....thanks so much!

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thread removed for a re-write iirc, may re-apear at some point soon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds