Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by me-too, Jul 16, 2010.

1. me-too

me-too Private E-2

Hello world! :)

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks mee-too! Feel free to find a section you like and post. :-D

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

A warm Welcome to Major Geeks.

4. me-too

me-too Private E-2

Hoping to find out where to post this.

Can anyone direct me where to go regarding getting my dad's computer (that hasn't been used in a few years) running safely online? We are already connected with our home DELL Windows XP thru Charter.

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Welcome me-too.

This is really an issue for the software forum and maybe your thread will get transferred there.

But more information will be required. Present OS and to what upgrade? What past and present security software? What type of connection?

One thing is certain, if it has been years, and if he is running XP, there will be a ton of updates needed. What I do in cases like this is first, in the control panel, set the home page to www.microsoft.com. That way, when it is connected, you are in a safe place and the place you'll need to be to get the updates.

Not sure, but I don't think updates are still available for earlier OS versions, but I could be wrong on this. :confused

In any case, security is still available and necessary. And there are other tools you should have to make this thing run decent.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Thread on issue is already in software forum HERE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds