Oh where to begin...

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Julhabs, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Julhabs

Julhabs Private E-2

I have a couple of questions it would be great to get the answers to....

1. My neighbor signes on to my internet connection because its faster than his. I wouldn't mind but he is all over the place downloading teenager things etc. Can I get a virus from something he does from across the street?

2. Is there a way to set up all three of my computers so nobody in the neighborhood can "borrow" my cable connection? I believe my brother uses something called a WEP Key but I have no idea how to get there.

I have something on my computer after this weekend. it says its W33.myzor.fk@yf. Can someone suggest how to get rid of this. I've run Microsoft beta antispyware and adaware and it still is on here. We were away for the weekend so I'm guessing the teenagers were doing things they shouldn't have been.

Thanks to anyone who has the time to help

Julie

2. rafal

rafal Private E-2

Well I assume that you have a wireless network. Well you could try setting the firewall on you wireless router. You should be able to find the instructions in your manual. Oh and yes if your friend is connected to your network viruses can spread from his computers to yours.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

No actually you can't get a virus from him downloading things. But if said virus infects his machine and then is of the type to spread, and you have no firewall/virus protection on your machine then that could infect you. As far as securing your wireless router you have two options. You can hardwire all your computers and shut wireless off. Or look in the routers manual for securing your wireless network. If you can post the manufactor of the router i may be able to give some further pointers for you. Good Luck

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

5. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

6. Julhabs

Julhabs Private E-2

Sorry if I posted improperly. I called d link and they talked me through securing the wireless network. Although it took 6 hours and three different people. I have all but my laptop secure for they were not able to connect my laptop to the network after the password was assigned. Thanks to all who replied. I'm checkinig out the sites to see if I can get rid of all the crap on my daughters computer. I did roll it back and it seems to be doing alot better.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds