Print Artist on Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by EJB, Jun 26, 2014.

1. EJB

EJB Corporal

Upgrading our two desktops....now Windows 8.1.
    Have PA Gold 21 on our old XP machine.
    When purchased it was downloaded so no disc.
    Have copied the programme but there is no exe file to install on the new PCs.

My questions Please........

Is there a way to install PA Gold 21 on the new machines?
    Will it run on W 8.1?

If this isn't possible will a newer version of Print Artist (25) open the old files (there are many) produced by PA Gold 21?

Thank You:)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'd contact the company and ask a) can you download v21 somewhere, explaining why and b) will that version work on 8.1 - my guess is because it is a 6 year old version, it probably will not.
    Then ask if you purchase v25 by downloading, how will you reinstall if needed, and will it be able to open all the v 21 projects.
    23801 Calabasas Road
    Calabasas, CA 91302-1547
    1-877-445-6436

Source: http://www.printartist.com/

There doesn't seem to be much info on the page as to system requirements, etc.
    I did find out that v24 was the first to work on Win 8 so 24 and 25 will work. I just don't know if previous projects open in newer versions.

3. plodr

I found a way to email them
    http://support.novadevelopment.com/anonymous_requests/new

because the support by phone is paid
    Paid Phone Support

Hours: Monday - Friday 8AM-5PM PST
    Phone: 888.722.4431
    Eligible Products: The following products are eligible for Paid Phone Support:

Art Explosion Clip Art 500,000
    HGTV
    Photo Explosion v5
    Art Explosion Clip Art 800,000
    Label Factory v3 & v4
    Print Artist v24 & v25
    Greeting Card Factory v8 & v9
    InstaForm Invoices & Estimates v2
    Scrapbook Factory v4 & v5

4. EJB

EJB Corporal

Thank you for that:)
    I do remember when I bought the last version it was complicated because I am in the UK!!!
    The cost of postage was 3 or 4 times the cost of the actual programme, this is why I simply downloaded the programme and didn't go for the disc option.

Again, thank you very much;)

I will update in due course.

5. plodr

You can do what I do with old programs, I keep using them on the old computer. Of course, I have several computers that are not networked and have no way to get on the internet so it is safe to use them.

6. EJB

EJB Corporal

Have contacted Nova and get the answer that v25 doesn't open v21 file extensions.
    Difficult because they only give 'yes and no' answers and don't support v21 anyway!
    We will have to save images of all the old files and redo them in the new version of PA.

Thank you:)

PS. I see I have been a member for 10 years and made only 4 posts...I need to rectify that!!!!!

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Maybe a really random idea, but in some cases applications that are old "may" work in Windows 8, if you right click the setup.exe file and then choose properties and then in the Compatibility tab click the Run the program in compatibility mode for:

and choose Windows XP SP3 and apply, also click the Run as Administrator option too and see if that works. Its random but in some cases it works OK with older apps, worth a try at least.

8. EJB

EJB Corporal

Could try that except I can't install v21 on the new PCs.
    However I have transferred the actual files and will try it when v24/5 is installed.

9. EJB

EJB Corporal

Update.
    Installed Print Artist 24 Platinum and it opened all the old PA 21 files.

Thanks again for the suggestions:)

10. plodr

Glad to hear this worked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds