Privacy Violation?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by LNX, Aug 21, 2018.

1. LNX

LNX Private E-2

Hello,

I don't come here often, really only about twice since joining many years ago.

But someone has gotten information from this forum site and used it to send what is in my opinion spam.

Today I received a e-mail from Coinonx the sender used the name that I post with. This is the only forum that I use that name with.

So the question is how did this company get my name and e-mail?

LNX

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

A number of years ago, the forums where hacked. That is why the forums are now using XenForo.

DavidGP likes this.
  3. LNX

LNX Private E-2

This didn't happen on the forms. Someone sent this to my e-mail today. A great distance of time between a number of years and today. I'm just letting you know in case you were hacked.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

We haven't been. Your email was collected and probably sold. Why it took so long is anyones guess.

DavidGP likes this.
  5. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

The distance in time is just the distance of time it took someone to collect it and then get to it. I received a similar one.

Back a few years ago, hackers found an exploit vbulliten 3 (the software we used) at the time. Thousands of sites were effected. That allowed them to match email accounts with user names and "perhaps" passwords. I say perhaps as we salted out passwords so I am unsure if those were then crackable. We emailed everyone at that time, changed software, and forced a password change with login.

To our knowledge that is the only compromise in out 18 years. I apologize for this, but it was both unknown to us and beyond our control.

satrow and TimW like this.
  6. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

You can also check where your email account has been compromised:
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I have so far: MajorGeeks, vBulletin.com, Adobe, Bitly, and some online spambot list :(

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Checked mine Phillip and Pawnage was from Adobe breach of info on 3 email accounts of mine, none on MG signed up account.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds