Q: Applying Thermal Compound/Paste, is less more?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Captain_Sparky, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Captain_Sparky

Captain_Sparky Private E-2

An odd question, but here goes...

I've just had some "Antec Silver Thermal Compound" (i.e - paste) applied to my CPU/Fan by a friend, because the silicone paste which was pre-applied had detoriated, causing slightly higher temps than normal.

However... my friend didn't quite follow the instructions for applying it, which were to use only a tiny grain-of-rice sized amount, spread it evenly, etc... he applied a large dollop on and around the heatsink/cpu core area.

I've noticed virtually no change in CPU temp since.

My question is... does using to much effect the temp? Is it possible that the large dollop of paste heats the underside of the CPU fan and CPU surface around the heatsink/core, rather than just pretty much conducting to the heatsink?

I'm partially disabled myself... feh, can't use hands for precision work and this is really bugging me atm, as it'll be awkward to fix.

Advice appreciated!

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

As long as you get even coverage when the heatsink is squished onto the CPU core, it shouldn't really matter. The only possible problem is that if there is a huge ammount and its coming out the sides :p

3. Sebass

Sebass Private E-2

According to Arctic Silver's website results are not completely official until about 200 hours of continuous normal use just be sure to turn your computer off from time to time and you'll see it kick in. This should be the same for most thermal compunds. I myself have seen about a 7 degree drop over the last few weeks and I think it might not be done yet...

Also, hopefully your heatsink was cleaned as any residue from the last compund could weaken the new one. This can be done using rubbing alcohol.

Also it is true that you only need enough to cover the center of processor and not much more. You don't have to go to the outer edges on most as the heat really radiates more from the middle than anything else.

4. convax

convax Private E-2

Just a small note, too much thermal compound over the chip will not help as it will develop a heat lock as the outside layer dries and stops the heat radiating out through the heatsink as well as it should

5. gman4dx266

gman4dx266 Private First Class

I agree with antec's directions. On my chips if i put too much, the heat goes thru the roof-same with not enough. But if you get that layer just right, you'll be cookin with gas. This was especially noticeable on my HP notebook. HP doesnt use thermal ANYTHING. just HS to core. stupid idea. anyway, i recorded the temp without doing anything to it. it was 98* celcius. I took it apart the first time and put too much, and it dropped one degree. I wasnt satisfied so i went back in and cleaned it all off and put a super thin layer on to where you could see the purple on the core of the cpu. slapped it back together and now after 4 hours, fan comes on MAYBE 3 times--runs at 80* C. So going back, less is better in my book...I have even seen modding sites where people are so critical about this process, that they break out their box cutters and snag the razor blazes off 'em and actaually level the gooey junk off and even square it off on the sides...bit far if ya ask me...but thats my 10 cents, (my 2 cents is free...)

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

98??!??? Jeeezzzz.... thats VERY hot.... what processor is that? I've never heard of a processor that can actually run stable at that sort of temperature! :eek:

Like I said, its only a problem if you put so much on that it squishes over the outside of the core.

As so far as machining the HS again.. well, the only way you can do that 100% successfully is to put it on a milling machine and mill the suface down, then put it on a surface grinder. Then you lap it with a totally flat surface (glass) and continuous flowing lubricant. With that you can get a mirror perfect surface. That way, you have less thermal paste to go through when transferring heat from core to HS.

Thermal pads are a nightmare to get off, best idea is to use paintbrush cleaner or somthing like that which will dissolve the adhesive. Of course, after this you need to thoroughly clean with isopropanol alcohol, since this could leave a greasy deposit. No need for re-machining ;)

7. gman4dx266

gman4dx266 Private First Class

Goldfish: it was a Mobile Celeron 2.4 northwoody...sucka got hot..but it was completely stable...I used MBM and another thing i cant remember the name of to get the temp... you could sit out in the snow and you'd be strippin off ya clothes with that on ya lap.

But not to get off topic...:Captain_Sparky: AFAIK, incase you were wondering, the paste is better than those so called thermal pads. They dont do crap! Anyone who has brains can answer the simple question: "how does a solid conduct heat?" It doesnt!....er atleast in my experiences....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds