Queue list to negate bumping

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by cheeto81, Jul 8, 2010.

1. cheeto81

cheeto81 Private E-2

HI,

Great site…I wanted to ask why you don’t allow bumping…Then I noticed a thread where someone bumped, and the response to the bump was:

“And all this did was cost you 5 additional days of waiting time. We look at and work on oldest threads first so this is the first time we even see this message. As stated in the stickies, if you bump for any reason, it only hurts you.”

I think I may have a solution to users wanting to bump…If the admins look at oldest posts first, and go in order, is it possible to setup a visable public queue list, that people can look at to see how many other threads are ahead of them, and an approximate wait time? I realize that you can count the 0-reply threads in a forum, but it would take a while to go through all the forums, and I don't really have an idea of how many threads you get to a day.

I realize this would take time to setup, but it would be an awesome feature.

In addition to this, perhaps you can add a revenue stream by allowing users to pay a couple bucks to "bump" their thread to a special priority queue...free users shouldn't complain cause they are still getting free help, and people in a hurry can get support fast.

Just some thoughts...

Thanks

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The comment about bumping you are referring to is basically for the Malware Forum.
    And Welcome to Major Geeks.
    And don't you get a bit PO'ed if somebody jumps ahead of you in a line,like at a theatre or while shopping? I do. I freely admit to going off on them at times.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to MGs:)

There is a no bumping rule throughout the forum, but as hrlow stated, the main one is the Malware Forum. They have their system and it works. The rules are clearly stated if people so choose to read the stickied threads which they fail to do time and time again.

Specifically in Malware, the wait time has to do with how many people find the forum asking for help. Sometimes it isn't long at all and sometimes it's days. The queue is done by oldest thread first. If someone wants to find out where they are approximately, they only need to look where their thread is and see how many are before them who have not yet been helped. Once your thread is started, it goes on continually until you are helped.

In the other forums, there is no such system. Whoever can help jumps in. While we have extremely knowledgeable people here, there are just some problems that people don't have the answer to (or the person did not write a sufficient description of the problem and the specs of their machine...which is very often the case). Continuing to just bump the thread will generally do no good (and it is against the rules for that reason). So basically, there is no queue in the other forums.

We are a volunteer based forum, not a paid service. Paying to prioritize your thread goes against that and would only serve to make people angry. While I can't speak for the owners of the site, I have a feeling that will never happen.Honestly, everyone thinks their problem is the most important and they want help immediately. If they do need or want help immediately, they always have the option to go to a local repair shop and pay for the service.

PS...I just saw your thread is in Software. As I stated, there isn't a system in there of when threads will be 'taken'. It's just a matter of if people know the answer. Good luck!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I totally agree with your post Laura, going down the road of paid for prioritisation is not the right way to go in my humble opinion as if you wanted me to assist you on any given PC issue then it would cost you alot more than going to Geek Squad etc whereas I give my opinions and thoughts on PC issues here freely. I would also be weary of assisting folk who are bumping to get their posts to the top of the page, this is counterproductive and will not get the issue fixed quicker, its more likely to have a users account deleted as a spammer.

A priority paid for queue also would not work as many of us here are also working full time either in computing or as me not in computing area, so we just dont always have the time to follow up on a given question (this last week I have not used my home PC at all, way too busy in work to want to get on the internet at home) and if a priority paid for queueing system was used that would then mean that I/We would be honoured to be at the beck and call of the client until their issue was fixed, sorry but thats not going to happen unless you wish to pay alot for dedicated help and I'm not in my case talking about $10/hr would be talking a hell of alot more.

While their are paid for help forums around I dont feel they offer any more dedicated help as the free help here, just you may have to wait until the right person logs on to assist you, as folk come and go, depends on their real live workload and family.

All of the core members here just devote their free time and experience to help others for no payment, its more (speaking for myself) to just give help to others who maybe more novice in computing.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

There may possibly be more banning from the forums.
    If a person "paid" for the service, they might feel that they have the right to get the services of a particular individual anytime they felt the need.
    If the helper is offline or otherwise not available, the person wanting them might get a little hot and impatient.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds