Re: New member

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by manic mushroom, Jan 5, 2010.

1. manic mushroom

manic mushroom Private E-2

hello geeks, i'm new here. by far not a computer "geek" or expert.
    i only have limited trial and error experience on my own equipment. typically i don't allow anyone to have administrator level access. howeever, after much pleading and complaining about my "control issues", my partner convinced me to give up the password. believe me, i am regretting it! i logged on a couple of days ago and found a couple of new program icons on my desktop. specifically --- drivercure--- and ----- pareto----- something. so i googled it. that brought me to MG.com. i read a little and determined the new programs were virus'. as directed i turned to "read and run me first"
    i have followed all directions exactly. when i got to the "run combofix" i rec'd error message that it was the wrong version. as i was trying to find to correct version i read very strong warnings from the developers. i have not experienced any problems with my computer, yet. i started the "read and run me" because those programs were identified as virus'. i'm worried to run such a powerful program if it's possible that it is unnecessary. please.... i don't want to continue without advice. thanks for all the great information.

ps: system is already running noticibly faster and better after just getting this far.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's. If you are having malware issues, do continue with the procedures and when you have the requested logs, start a thread in the malware forum and attach those logs. :)

3. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Welcome manic mushroom,
    You're in good hands here. TimW is one of the good people when it comes to helping on the "Nasties". We have a lot of others just as good here at MajorGeeks.Have a look around while you wait for malware to clear you(and they will) and enjoy the place.

BT

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And another joins in saying
    "Welcome to Major Geeks".

5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, MM . :wave
    Your a sarcky sod sometimes H ! :-D

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Yep, the old handing out of the password problem. Seems like most of the problems I see on computers come from non-owner usage.

In any case, welcome to MG. If these guys and gals can't get you fixed, the fixin' ain't possible.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds