Samsung Galaxy J3 Pro Running Short Of Memory...?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by Stephen_c16, Sep 25, 2024.

1. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Greetings.
    I am a novice to these phone things but mine seems to have run out of system memory.
    I have worked out that if you turn the power on whilst holding the volume up and home buttons down and wait for the logo to appear before some choice are offered.
    Should I delete the cache or wipe the disk?
    Any thoughts.
    Best wishes,
    s.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you mean memory as in RAM or do you mean storage as in GB?

Do you want a hard reset or a soft reset?

3. plodr

Here's what a soft reset does:
    Terminates any misbehaving apps or processes that might be causing freezes or slowdowns.
    Clears the phone's temporary memory (RAM), freeing up resources for smoother operation.
    Refreshes the connection between your phone and the cellular network, potentially resolving connectivity issues.

Here's what a hard reset does:
    Erases all user data and settings.
    Uninstalls all downloaded applications.
    Removes any saved accounts or login information.
    Restores the phone's operating system to its original factory state.

4. Stephen_c16

Thank you for getting back to me.
    My phone has 16GM internal memory of which 15.4GB is used even though I have moved all the images and video to the SD card. My partner gave me the phone when She found one with better camera stuff.
    I would quite like to use mine for photo/video work and this is why I would like to make more space on the internal drive.
    I followed the instruction to delete the cache but that didn't improve the situation.
    I have used an app called Samsung Smart switch which allowed me to make a backup of my phone to the SD card.
    Should I go through the Wipe data/factory reset choice?
    If I go ahead with the factory reset should I remove my SD card first?

I really am ignorant of the best procedure.

Best wishes,
    s.

5. plodr

This is storage not memory. RAM is memory; storage is the amount of data a hard drive can hold.

If you are positive that the micro sd card has everything you want saved, remove the micro sd card. Put it into a computer and check that everything you need is on the micro sd card BEFORE you do any resetting of the phone. If your computer doesn't have an sd card slot, you might need to get a USB card reader to read the card on a computer.

If all the info is on the card, do not put the micro sd card back into the phone. Then do a factory reset. Since 16 GB is a small amount of storage, I wouldn't use it for video work. You'll run out of storage in a short time because video files are large. You'd do better using the phone to store and play music because mp3 files are smaller.

My old Galaxy phone has 16GB of storage. We use it as a camera and mp3 player. Those files are stored on a 64GB microsd card. The 16GB of storage that came on the phone is using over 9GB with just the OS, and a few apps.

6. Stephen_c16

Thank you plodr,
    I shall follow your advice.
    regards,
    s.

7. plodr

Post back so we know how it went for you. This helps anyone having storage issues on an old Samsung phone.

8. Stephen_c16

Many apologies for not getting back sooner but I didn't get around to trying it out until this afternoon. I became very confused When I had to do the 2 step verification when my phone wasn't receiving SMS messages But I found a Samsung call line and I was directed. Luckily it was on a 0800 number and it took 35 minutes before they answered...

So I only had .38 GB left in my storage space. I have now 9.5 GB available. It was worth the stress.
    Best wishes,
    s.x

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds