Semi-new here, software recommendations threads?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by TreborPugly, Sep 4, 2011.

1. TreborPugly

TreborPugly Private E-2

Hi,

About a year ago I used the instructions on these forums to do a complete cleanup of my laptop and then on my mother's computer while visiting them, and it was great to have the detailed instructions and links.

I came back this time to do the same thing on an old laptop (running Windows XP) that my kids have been using which got really slow recently. I'm not looking for any specific diagnosis - just running through the same instructions.

However, I've noticed that even though there are great instructions, and appears to be great individualized help for people who need it, that there aren't any regular threads with recommendations on antivirus software. There are lists, and each time I've come here, I download one of those, usually the one that appears to be "hottest", but I'm wondering if there's a thread or website with a nice comparison and recommendations. It appears that just about every resident antivirus monitor will slow somebody down sometime. I've personally seen it with Mcafee, Norton, AVG, and Comodo. I'm trying out Avast now on the kids' laptop, since that seems to be hot, but it also keeps pestering me about installing an "enhanced" version each time I startup.

So I'm not asking for recommendations here, since this is the "say hello" forum, but if anyone has a pointer to a good thread or web site, I'd appreciate it.
    -Treb.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

AV software is really a personal choice matter as it will impact different system in different ways. My choice is Microsoft Security Essentials.

The only thread we have is general suggestions:

How to Protect yourself from malware!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds