Shane J.Filomena has Arrived

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by shanejfilomena, Oct 17, 2009.

1. shanejfilomena

shanejfilomena Private E-2

Iam Shane J. Filomena, I operate several websites, most notably the public records search tools found on my site : knowaboutthem.com and dtdetective.com
    ( Notice I did not link them in or add the http:// _ I am not trying to advertise here )

I first got on the Internet at 13, HDKP2 decimated my very first computer.
    I mean it literally made smoke and flames come out of the tower.

I have gone through about one hard drive a year since then, not because of my problems with infections from the Internet, but my demand to NOT get them.
    I have used assorted softwares designed to clean up my computer, different security programs and registry fixes thinking it might catch things that my TrendMicro missed......
    I stopped trying to use fancy methods to back up my security program and "Tweak" my machine.
    If i have a serious question, I come here and read up on the forums, often I have found information of even a downloadable solution .
    Today I have a new Dell desktop, I recently reloaded my Averatec Laptop with XP: it crashed too.I narrowed it down to the stuff I was using on both computers and determine to "stop doing that".
    Im no longer as insecure as I used to be.

WHY?????
    I turned off the windows messenger( major cause of pop-ups and hacker access), I switched to Wireless ( prevents dialer programs ) and I trust my TrendMicro security program which has never let me down, but I used to be too paranoid to realize that.

so, thats about it

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Bad think about wireless. May not have to deal with dialers, but be watchful of other people tapping your connection .

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Well, welcome to MGs. :)

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG Shane:wave I also use Trend Micro, and must say, nothing has gotten past it on my Dell.. I really like mine too.. Yes, I do trust it.. ;)

I am sure you will find plenty here to read up on, and learn.. ;)

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

welcome to MGs shane.
    I also get paranoid sometimes when my PC is acting strange but it's usually my fault :-o

In place of wireless i use the Devolo system that allows me to hard wire anywhere in the house,(without any long cables) stopping others in the apartment block using my internet.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/netwo...evolo-MicroLink-dLAN-Highspeed-Starter-Kit/p1

I have used this system for about 2 years now without the slightest problem.

6. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Welcome to MGs Shanejfilomena.

I also get paranoid sometimes when my PC is acting strange just like BIll but it's usually my fault aswell :-o me and Bill would make a good pair ! :-D

7. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

G'day shanejfilomena and welcome to MG'S from down under.better to be safe than sorry i always say but to be obsessively safe could do more harm than good.

8. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds