Site a bit hard to navigate around

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by daddypaul, Sep 2, 2011.

1. daddypaul

daddypaul Private E-2

Just a thought-

Why do the forums seem a bit cluttered, with seemingly unrelated stuff posted together?

ie there are xp, win7, vista all under software, with 60000 posts in it

Hardware is video cards, sound cards, hard drives, mobos, etc, has 30000 posts in it

Wouldnt it be better to have something like toms hardware site, where you can have

Software

xp
    win7
    vista
    linux
    etc

and

Hardware
    VIdeo cards
    mobo
    sound cards
    speakers

etc?

Just seems like a strange thing to lump so many things in together.
    Also makes it hard if you are say researching mobos, or linux, and you have everthing else on top of you

ps this is not meant to sound like a whinge, just a thought!

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I would think the fewer child forums would be a better and easier way to navigate this site, there's only a line here, hardware/software/malware/lounge. I'm not affiliated here in any way.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Agreed.

There's not much more frustrating to me than going to any forum and seeing an enormous amount of subcategories. IMO, there is no reason to have a sub for every Windows version. Why? A lot of help or info pertains to multiple versions and it is much better for the regular, dedicated, extremely knowledgeable helpers we have here to just navigate between 'Software', 'Hardware', etc to see what new questions have been brought up.

The other issue is we have a lot of people find us that are very much novices to computers. Just having them figure out if their post belongs in Software, Drivers, Malware, etc is hard. To add more would be very frustrating to them. We try to appeal to all levels of computer users.

This is, of course, just my opinion. Obviously, based on the amount of forums you can find and all the set ups, everyone has their own opinions. I'm not sure any is right or wrong, but I do know that the set up works for Major Geeks as we get a large amount of people coming here and getting answers to their questions.:)

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Let me just add that many first posters haven't a clue as to what their problem actually is related to. So just having a "Hardware" forum covers all bases. Same goes with the other forums.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds