Slow computer

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Pinnymom, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Pinnymom

Pinnymom Private E-2

Hello!

My name is Christine and my computer is not working very well. I started a new thread because after reading all kinds of threads, I am not sure what I should do next. I have done up to defragmenting the hard drive and I am pretty sure all the malware and adware are gone but now I have to get rid of viruses. How do I find out which ones they are and get them off? Do I have to erase the hard drive? I have backed up all my files and am prepared to erase the hard drive but am wondering if this is the only option? Also, I was going to go and buy some more virus protection but I read on one thread that it is not necessary. Can someone lead me where to find these answers or tell me? That would be super. Thanks in advance!

2. Pinnymom

Pinnymom Private E-2

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you for the welcome!:)

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

4. Pinnymom

Pinnymom Private E-2

Thanks again. I am in the process of cleaning my computer and am about to run Combofix. I have to shutdown or stop all of my protection software but I am unsure how. I tried to search the forums for this but so far am unsuccessful. Can someone either tell me how or direct me where to look please? Thanks so much!:)

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

to shut down your anti-virus and other software just right click on the small icon at the bottom of your screen in the task bar it will then give a menu hold your mouse pointer over EXIT and it should change color if this is so then just click and it will stop the process you should then get a pop up that asks do you really want to stop ******* click yes and it will stop, when you re-boot after running the application all your software will re-load

6. Pinnymom

Pinnymom Private E-2

Thank you for the help! How do I disable spybot?:)

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

open the main page for Spybot S+D click file and then Exit but this should under normal circumstances not be necessary as S+D is an on demand scanner

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Kes your becoming a REAL geek, i had not thought about TEA TIMER:eek:

9. Pinnymom

Pinnymom Private E-2

You guys are funny...hee hee:D!

I checked and the tea timer was disabled.

When doing the MGTOOLS step, I needed to disable McAfee and even though I right clicked on it and exited, it still came up through the process...will this mess things up?

Also, I got this message

Error Message Type 4

If you receive a message similar to any of the below. It just means that you do not have the Microsoft .NET Framework software installed from Microsoft Update. You should install this as many .NET type applications require it. The processdll.exe program which is part of MGtools will not run without this software being installed. You don't have to install it but the output from processdll.exe can sometimes be critical in getting your malware removed.

Quote:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). Click on OK to terminate the application.

So----I terminated and want to know if I should install the Microsoft. NET Framework software and if so, where do I get it from? Also, should I rerun MGTOOLS after that?

Thanks again! I notice an improvement in my computer already. You guys are awesome!

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

11. Pinnymom

Pinnymom Private E-2

Thanks for the advice...I am on my way!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds