something that looks like malware

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by blizmart, Apr 28, 2009.

1. blizmart

blizmart Private E-2

I have also tried to remove something that looks like malware.it is redirecting
    my home page to an advertising site,I have reformatted and a fresh install,
    it was back in 10 minutes,has anyone come across this type of thing before?
    if so any ideas on how I can fix this problem.
    many thanks

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Wow, since you formatted and got the same thing again, download the protection software in the sticky suggested in the malware forum now and burn it to a CD. Re-format with your computer unplugged, install the software, re-plug the internet and update everything.

I'm still surprised that happened!:confused You do have a genuine MS XP CD right?(I'm assuming the XP part)

Welcome aboard and I hope you can fix it.

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

welcome to the forums :)

If you wish to follow our malware removal procedures then refer to the below:

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

download all the required tools, update SAS and MBAM scan with tools, and attach the 4 requested logs into a new post that you would create in the Malware Removal forum

Someone will be along to assist you, please be patient as we work threads on an oldest to newest basis.

4. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Welcome, blizmart. :wave Hope you get your problem fixed soon. You are in the right place for it, anyway. Good luck.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

BTW blizmart, where did you surf to after you reinstalled?

6. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

:wave welcome to MG's - you are at the right place to get your puter up and running right!! Good luck with it all!!:)

7. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

If you have a DNS changing trojan you can still run into trouble after a reinstall or if you have another infected computer on your network. But running through the guide and getting help from the "guys" in the Malware forum is bound to find any problems and get rid of them. :)

Welcome aboard! :wave

8. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome blizmart..

9. blizmart

blizmart Private E-2

Hi I intalled windows explorer as the home page,and browsed a couple of sites that
    avg cleared as safe.I noticed activity on the status bar and then it redirected me
    to the advertising site(rolling adverts)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds