The noise is unnerving!!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by vagabondage55, Oct 1, 2006.

1. vagabondage55

vagabondage55 Private E-2

I keep getting that sound you get when you plug or unplug hardware,but no message in a bubble ,checked for loose wires but everything seems fine?? Win xp home :confused: Thanks for your help Rand

2. vagabondage55

Should I post this ? somewhere else??

3. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)
    Check these settings
    Start>Control panel>Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices>Sound And Audio Devices>Sounds

Now scroll down to the sound you want to disable

4. vagabondage55

No idea why its doing this?? Thanks blades

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

loose connection on a piece of hardware?

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Yep, what Lev said might be right, check your connections again

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you are plugging in USB hardware then you will gain a Ding Ding sound as its connecting and one when disconnecting, this be normal.

You can as Blades said disable the sound in the location he mentioned and the two are "Device Connect" "Device Disconnect" and also you could disable the sound for "Device Failed to Connect"

8. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

your not using anything like freeram xp pro for example. It playes the windows sound everytime it auto free's ram unless you disable the sound in the freeram settings. Or if not a usb connection perhaps a shagged usb port

9. vagabondage55

yes I am using xp pro but I know that sound well, this is the hardware sound down note when unplugging and up when plugging in ,very strange . checked for loose wires will check again.Thanks everyone.......... Rand

10. vagabondage55

just noticed in your post about a shagged usb ,this is new to me I just built this thing about 16 months ago .........??????????????? Soooooooooo what is a shagged usb?? Thanks again

11. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

LOL..."shagged" is UK/Aussie slang meaning it is screwed. Finito. It no longer functions correctly because it is bust :) Another term would be to say it is "knackered".

12. vagabondage55

as in the spy who shagged me (F*****- up) ..gotcha

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Now in that context to the UK, it means something completely different, and the word was starred out of the movie title in England, so not to cause offense. Brit english is just confusing :p

14. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

Oops sorry :) what Lev said. Thanks Lev:D

15. vagabondage55

So trial and error on the shagged usb I suppose ?? Seems all my usb ports are workin'.......................

16. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

What about your printer/scanner? Check all peripheral device connections?

17. vagabondage55

ThinkI found it ,,my card reader makes the noise when I wiggle it Thanks Lev and everyone.Rand

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds