Top 5 Weaknesses of Google Search

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Not sure about which Forum to post this in.

Top 5 Weaknesses of Google Search
    http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/107735/20110202/top-5-weaknesses-of-google-search.htm

My note: UK readers will know that "forex" is a brand of condom, IIRC.

My note: Bear these 5 in mind when reviewing Google results.

Bazza

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I don't agree with that point.
    After doing the initial search, you can click "Advanced Search" which presents a dialog to help you eliminate what you don't want and be more specific about your search.
    Also, on that page there is a link for Advanced Search Tips with information about search modifiers.

Excuse me, but the last sentence of that quote is just ....well...., dumb, IMHO.
    Wikipedia is NOT an alternative to Google.
    They are two completely different applications. At least, that's how I see it.

The fifth so called "weakness" is something that I have had trouble with myself.
    One approach to dealing with that would be to learn to use some of the search modifiers to make the query more effective.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I agree with you mjnc and we can all find fault with search engines, sadly google has gotten too big and its not as accurate as you'd think it should be by now, unless as you mention you use the "advanced" options, which is why I now use cluster type search engines.

Also its been for may years that many of us on MGs have criticised the search function of google as if you search for a file type you get zillions of HJT logs and those are of no use when researching a file type issue.

Is it...... as I thought it was the Foreign Exchange Currency market and even a search of it on Google for Forex + condom lists no retail product???? ( I did work for a pharmacy company for 3yrs and never remember than brand in the UK and they would have sold them)

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I misspelt forex, I think it is Fourex.
    Is that available in the UK, or have I got my facts wrong again? :-o

One site I found just now is http://www.econdoms.co.uk/article/Types_of_Condoms_10.html

I know that XXXX (4 X's), pronounced Forex, is a popular beer to native born Queenslanders. Most people moving to Queensland prefer their ex-home state brands. ;)

A common joke is that it is called XXXX because Queenslanders can't spell beer. ;)

Bazza

NB: I still use Google most of the time. I posted this article to see what MG'ers thought of the 5 "weaknesses".

Baz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds