Updating The Os On An Older Phone/tablet

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by TDV, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDV

TDV Private E-2

If an old phone/table´t tells you that the installed version, f.e. 4.4.2, is the up-to-date version, is there any update to a newer version possible?

Thanks, TDV

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

That would depend....mind telling us what model phone and tablet?

3. TDV

TDV Private E-2

An ASUS tablet with 4.4.2 , telling me that it is up to date---

So my question is: How do I figure out which versiom is the maximum that can be installed.
    My guess is there is it depende on hardware requirement, and somewhere there is a list. where I can look up when I compare my tablet's and phone's data?

Thanks

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

You still have not identified exactly which models you have.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I own an ASUS table, ME176CX. I got one update from KitKat to Lollipop. If Asus is telling you it is up to date, then they aren't planning to offer a new version of android for your model of tablet.

I see KitKat is no longer supported.
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

The only way you can install a newer version, and there is no guarantee that it will work on the hardware, is to root your device. I'd NEVER consider rooting any of my devices. It opens the door to all kinds of malware because you are installing things from unknown sources. It is bad enough that rouge things get into googleplay from time to time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  6. TDV

TDV Private E-2

Thank you, what you said about ASUS is probably factual. On the other side.... I do not own any hardware that is not rooted, and let me assure you, your fears are misplaced. But then... I probably use different apps from you.
    "...there is no guarantee that it will work on the hardware..." That is my point, I would like to see a list with specifics for this.

What to do, I guess anyway it is not going too much of a difference
    Thanks for your info

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You never did tell us the model.

8. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The answers you seek: https://forum.xda-developers.com/memo-pad-7

9. TDV

TDV Private E-2

Thanky, just playin....
    I knew the answer would be easy

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Except Memo Pad 7 is my model which has been updated to Lollipop.

We don't know what TDV has because he is unwilling to post the model number. And what applies to one model doesn't necessarily apply to another Asus model tablet.

11. TDV

TDV Private E-2

What is so hard to understanmd?

Do you know about every tablet by haeart?
    So if you can look it up, why not tell me where... and i can do it?
    I have two phones and two tablets

It wouzld have taken less than 30 sec to answer my questrion if you would have wanted to...

Others did.

"Major Geek Super Extraordinaire" No. you are the prototype of the ususal one track mind nerd.

12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Good. Thread closed.

Going forward, please keep in mind that you must give all relevant information...one of the most important being the model of whatever it is you want and answer for.

Also do not be rude to people here...particularly those trying to help you.

Eldon and the mekanic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds