Virus found in Freeware download

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by dixie100, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixie100

dixie100 Private E-2

When starting download for HDD Scan and Restoration Program from Author's Website

A virus was found!

C:\...\hsr3.0floppysetup[1].rar

The file name contains an executable file extention disguised as a harmless one

HEUR-DBLEXT/Crypted

I have notified the author - Salvation Data.
    Please note that CD version from the Geeks website was clean.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

It could very well be that your virus scanner is picking up a false positive, happens alot with some scanners, the file maybe close to a virus but not actually a virus.

I scanned the file with both Avast and Kaspersky's online file scanner and the HSR3.0.exe file was clear.

http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

3. dixie100

dixie100 Private E-2

Halo,

I have 2 virus checkers and it was the AntiVir Guard that thought there was a virus.
    Thank you for the reply and for running the scan.

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)
    Having 2 anti-virus installed can cause problems, uninstall one.

5. dixie100

dixie100 Private E-2

You are so right. The 2nd anti-virus caused major problems with incoming email as well. I uninstalled the one I had downloaded that morning and all was back to normal. It had been a while since I used this desktop and forgot I already had a virus checker onboard. Thanks.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

What are you using? AVG is the preferred Antivirus here if your looking for one good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds