what progam do you recommend !

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by dcdd1, Sep 9, 2006.

1. dcdd1

dcdd1 Private E-2

hi to everyone.....can anyione recommend a good all round package for internet security and privacy?:confused:

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG :) I personally use and reccomend AVG Free (antivirus) coupled with ZoneAlarm Free (firewall). Whatever you do, just dont go with Norton :eek:

3. dcdd1

dcdd1 Private E-2

ty viper_boy403....im really looking for more than the usual basic stuff ?not saying that that isnt enough but im looking for a program that instead of installing 20 different programs you only need a few ....that will protect your system from keyloggers ,rootkits,etc and be very secure if such a package exsists?

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I dont know if there is one single program that does that but here is what i would reccomend:

Spyware Doctor for realtime spyware protection
    Ad-Aware SE for spyware removal
    AVG Free for antivirus
    ZoneAlarm Free for a firewall

you shouldnt need to protect yourself specifically from rootkits and similar so if you keep your computer clean by running a spyware scan daily you should be good to go

5. dcdd1

dcdd1 Private E-2

thankyou.......i use zone alarm internet security suite,Ad-Aware SE ,counterspy realtime,only dont know if this is enough for security....sometimes feel more is needed:confused: :eek:

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

that should be doing u just fine. personally, i have no real-time spyware protection and my computer is just fine. I do run Ad-Aware daily tho

7. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

8. dcdd1

dcdd1 Private E-2

ty both for your replys i used to have Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard;yeah they were good programs only kept getting pop-ups to change homepage etc on IE not sure why...Ad-Aware SE with active monitoring,counterspy realtime+zone alarm internet security suite,is that enough?

9. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Nope...I'd say you're pretty well covered.
    As for Spyware Guard and/or Spyware Blaster pop ups about changing your home page I believe you mean you were being told your home page was being changed and did you want to allow the change. That's a GOOD thing!

10. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

having too much security can bog down your pc resources.
    I use Avast for Anti-virus
    ZoneAlarm for firewall
    Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard for anti-spyware
    need I say more? :)

11. dcdd1

dcdd1 Private E-2

excellent, ty for all your feedback....nice site quick replys!!

12. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

You should visit our Malware Forum and read and follow the below guidelines:

How to Protect yourself from malware!

13. ed565

ed565 Private E-2

14. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

If you hard drive is going bad then its probably best to backup your important files and buy a new hard drive, or you can wait till the hard drive goes bad, then buy a new hard drive.

15. ed565

ed565 Private E-2

thanks for advice do u know what scan engine failed means. also says pc guard fail to. win98se thanks

16. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

what do you mean exactly by scan engine fail and pc guard fail? Some sort of error? And is scan guard your anti-virus?

17. ed565

ed565 Private E-2

hi chaslang yes pc guard is anti virus protection say it failed to load when i turn on my pc. i did have a virus aweek ago but not now. might have infected pc before i deleted it.

18. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds