When do I start posting?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by babbaroni, Jun 2, 2011.

1. babbaroni

babbaroni Private E-2

My head is spinning. So far I have followed the preliminary directions up to, but not including, running SAS. I only ran across one potential problem, and that was while installing the latest Java version: I got an error message at the end saying

Installer: Wrapper.CreateFile failed with error 5: Access is denied.

The malware came in the form of Windows Recovery, which I got when I allowed a Flash thingie to run on someone's blog I didn't know. OK, I wasn't paying attention. I deleted Windows Recovery, which was a chalenge, but scripts kept running. It emptied all of my links (internet shortcuts) to empty shells and deleted all of my "bookmarks". It keeps running IE when I'm not running it, visible only in Task Manager. It is an Evil Thing.

I ran the MalWareBytes program and it found and corrected about 11 things, and then the Evil Thing seemed to mutate and get worse than ever.

I almost forgot: after I got rid of the false error messages from Windows Recovery, my computer started accessing random web sites. When I thought I'd gotten that to stop, it continued with audio only. It used to log them in IE's "History", but now it doesn't. I saved screen captures of almost everything that happened.

Should I just go ahead with the directions for running SAS before I post in the regular forum? No mistakes in this one, right? I hope the posts in this one do get read and answered, though... <sigh>

Tags, eh? I don't even know what tags are, let along how to add one...

And I've been online since about 1985-86. In my own way....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to Major Geeks.:)

It sounds like you are definitely dealing with Malware.

You should go through all steps in these removal instructions: READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker)

Once you have done that, you should start a new thread and post your logs (you'll see instructions for doing this as well in the above link) in the Malware Removal Forum.

If you have a problem running one of the steps, just move onto the next step.

The experts in the malware forum will get you fixed up.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome aboard babbaroni! Aah, an oldster from the good 'ol BBS days. '85, probably a 4800 baud muffin eared modem.:-D Thanks to technology, we've done away with those.:major

4. babbaroni

babbaroni Private E-2

MGTools trying to run, but....

I have followed all of the directions in the READ ME AND RUN THIS FIRST. I've disabled all of the security programs, etc. I could find, and do not have any AV program installed. Everything has worked the way the forum said it would except fot MG Tools. I did put it in C:\ and ran it as administrator, and it did make itself a folder... and a command prompt window appeared for a split second. When I right click the GetLogs.bat file and click run as administrator, the same thing happens... a command prompt appears so briefly I can hardly even tell what it is, then, nothing. I also tried running it, after doing that a few times, from the desktop, as administrator. Same thing.

Should I take this thread, the logs from the first several scans, to the malware removal forum now, or do I need to run MGTools.exe properly first?

Thanks!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would start a new thread in the malware part of this forum on Majorgeeks and attach the logs you could run and also mention the none running of MGTools, it should run better than many of the other tools but the folks in the malware forum are best placed to advise you as Chaslang in that forum created the MGTools app.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds